LL-L: "Phonology" [E/LS] LOWLANDS-L, 14.SEP.1999 (01)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 14 16:29:24 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.SEP.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Goaitsen van der Vliet [vdvliet at a1.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Phonology" [E/LS] LOWLANDS-L, 13.SEP.1999 (02)

Reinhard/Ron wrote:

>> Are there any dialects that have _sk-_ (e.g., _Skool_)?
>> Is it also found in any dialects outside Eastern Friesland,
>> including the Low Saxon dialects of the Netherlands?

Berend Klönne answered:

> Noch in 't Grunnings Drents of Twents, dus 't hiele Nedersaksische
> Nederlanden komp de schriefwieze _sk_ veur.

It is definitely not true that 'sk-' does not exist in Twente. Some writers
(e.g. J.B. van der Velde in his book Grammatica van Twents, 1994) used to
spell 'sk-' in all words like skool, he did not spell 'sch-' in any other
word at all.
Nowadays most people spell 'school' but (in the city of Enschede) it is
still pronounced as 'skool', sometimes even when people speak Dutch instead
of Twents.
In words as 'tusken' en 'meanske' the '-ske-' spelling remained, but most
people do not pronounce this 'k' any more.
The '-sk' at the end of words as 'duutsk' ('freesk') disappeared in most
cases, but it was pronounced in Twente in earlier days. (However, people in
Twente rather used to say 'Pruus' in stead of 'Duutsk'!)

Goaitsen van der Vliet
Enschede (Twente)
vdvliet at a1.nl