LL-L: "Double negative" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 14.SEP.1999 (04)

Ian James Parsley parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Sep 14 18:14:13 UTC 1999

The "double negative" certainly exists in Ulster-Scots. It is generally used
to emphasize a negation, though it is occasionally almost obligatory (e.g.
"naeboadie cudna be obeyan", where the 'na' negative particle follows an
already negative subject). However a construction such as that in Afrikaans
would not sound Scots to me.

Maybe others on the list would no more about Middle German (both High and
Low) than me, but I know double negatives were common in many MHG and MLG
texts (where the particle "en" or "ne" preceded the verb, which was then
followed by "nicht" or "niet"). Most MHG texts are poems, so very often
omission or insertion of such particles was done merely to suit the meter.
But others would know more about it that me, I'm sure...
Ian James Parsley
http://www.gcty.com/parsleyij
"JOY - Jesus, Others, You"
REPLY NOT WORK? TRY: