LL-L: "Phonetics" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 25.SEP.1999 (03)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 26 03:14:01 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.SEP.1999 (03) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Andrew Eagle [K27 at compuserve.com]
Subject: How is it Pronounced?

Once again I'm needing descriptions of some IPA symbols.
Suggestions on the pronunciations preferred in English, German or French if
possible, otherwise any related language.
I need descriptions for my website. Approximate descriptions will suffice.
They are intended for 'lay-people'.

One symbol I have come across doesn't seem to be on my IPA chart. Maybe its
no longer used.
It looks like an undotted small 'i' written in 'joined-up-writing'.

It is appartantly a Caithness Scots pronunciation of <ee> usually /i(:)/.
The sound apparently also occurs in some varieties of Insular Scots in
words like 'pit'.

I'd appreciate any suggestions what the "undotted small 'i' written in
'joined-up-writing'" represents.

IPA 326 'Reversed Epsilon' Also occurs in Insular Scots.

IPA  313 `Reversed Cursive A' An Insular Scots pronunciation of <oa> as in
'coat'. Also an Ulster Scots (County Down) rendering of <au>.

IPA126 'Phi' An Ulster Scots rendering of <f> is it similar to /f/? It is
an Ulster Scots rendering of <f>.

IPA 315 'Rams Horns" A South West central Scots pronunciation of <u> in
words like 'cut'.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andy

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Phonetics

Hi, Andy!

Maybe I'm the only one ...  I have no idea what you mean by
"joined-up-writing."  Can you explain that any other way?  Do you mean some sort
of ligature between a dotless i and another letter?  Might this be referring to
the so-called "apical i" as used in some Norwegian and Swedish dialects (an [i]
sound (as in 'bee') with the tip of the tongue placed near the alveolar ridge or
the upper front teeth)?

> IPA126 'Phi' An Ulster Scots rendering of <f> is it similar to /f/? It is
> an Ulster Scots rendering of <f>.

That usually symbolizes a bilabial f-type sound (as opposed to labiodental
[f]).  Sorry, I can't think of any occurrence in language you know.  I can think
of it being the realization of _hu_ (written _fu_ in the Hepburn System) in
Japanese.  Try and say "Hoo" or "Foo" while blowing out a candle, and you might
get it.

> IPA 315 'Rams Horns" A South West central Scots pronunciation of <u> in
> words like 'cut'.

Usually it's interchangeable with the "small upper-case u" symbolizing the
u-sound in English 'put', 'pull', and German _und_, _Ruck_.

I don't know about the other ones.

Hope that helped.