LL-L: "Phonetics" [E] LOWLANDS-L, 28.SEP.1999 (01)

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 14:27:04 UTC 1999

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.SEP.1999 (01) * ISSN 1089-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Andrew Eagle [K27 at compuserve.com]
Subject: Phonetics [E]

I wrote:

>One symbol I have come across doesn't seem to be on my IPA chart. Maybe
its
>no longer used.
>It looks like an undotted small 'i' written in 'joined-up-writing'.

>It is appartantly a Caithness Scots pronunciation of <ee> usually /i(:)/.
>The sound apparently also occurs in some varieties of Insular Scots in
>words like 'pit'.

>I'd appreciate any suggestions what the "undotted small 'i' written in
>'joined-up-writing'" represents.

Ron wrote:

<cut>
>Maybe I'm the only one ...  I have no idea what you mean by
>"joined-up-writing."  Can you explain that any other way?  Do you mean
some sort
>of ligature between a dotless i and another letter?  Might this be
referring to
>the so-called "apical i" as used in some Norwegian and Swedish dialects
(an [i]
>sound (as in 'bee') with the tip of the tongue placed near the alveolar
ridge or
>the upper front teeth)?
<cut>

The 'i' I mean is a lowercase 'i' without a dot above it. Its lower end
curves round like the lower end of a lowercase 't' as if it were to join
the next letter.
The upper end of the I has a 'tail' pointing downwards to the left at an
angle of about 45 degrees. This looks as if the previous letter had been
joined to it.

My instincts tell me your description may make sense. Both Caithness and
Insular Scots were influenced by Norn (Old Norse).
I hope this description makes more sense.

Thanks for the other explanations Ron.

Andy