LL-L: "Names" LOWLANDS-L, 18.APR.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 15:47:59 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.APR.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Wendy Collver <Wendy.Collver at mpi.nl>
Subject: Saxon Etymology Anyone?

Greeting from a habitual Lurker.
It has come to my attention to a certain word I have been
attempting to trace etymologically is rumored to be of
Saxon claim, as well as Old English. Of course the two
are related, but what I would really like to know is if
anyone has any information pertaining to this word, and
references, etc.

The word "colver" is reported as being from Saxon
descent, can anyone possibly tell me more to prove or
disprove this? Incidentally it is a surname, however is it
wrong to assume that all surnames (especially ones
which are a bit rarer) started from a common word in
some language?

my deepest appreciation in advance,

Wendy