LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 19.APR.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 14:51:06 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.APR.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: gdeutsch at estec.esa.nl
Subject: Afrikaans - Zeelands

Georg Deutsch at ESA
04/19/2000 16:00

It is often mentioned that the Zeelandic, the Dutch dialect(s) of the Dutch
province Zeeland, played an important role at the genesis of Afrikaans.
Whilst Zeeland is less than two hours from where I live, I hardly was there
and consciously I never heard spoken Zeelands.
However, yesterday I joined an informal event, where a speaker spoke clearly
standard Dutch but which such a strong accent that I had to concentrate to
understand it. I learned that he came from an island in this Province.
It was fascinating for me because the accent sounds virtually the same as
when Afrikaans speakers speak Dutch with a strong Afrikaans accent..
Is this true only for my untrained ears?
What I would be interested do feel native speaker of Zeelands and Afrikaans
the same way?
Does the tone of the other vernacular sound familiar?

kind regards
Georg Deutsch