LL-L: "Names" LOWLANDS-L, 19.APR.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 14:48:28 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.APR.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Subject: LL-L: "Names" LOWLANDS-L, 18.APR.2000 (01) [E]

On 18-Apr-00 Lowlands-L wrote:

> From: Wendy Collver <Wendy.Collver at mpi.nl>
> Subject: Saxon Etymology Anyone?
>
> The word "colver" is reported as being from Saxon
> descent, can anyone possibly tell me more to prove or
> disprove this? Incidentally it is a surname, however is it
> wrong to assume that all surnames (especially ones
> which are a bit rarer) started from a common word in
> some language?

"Colver" does not seem to be an English word, nor have I met it
as an English surname.

However, "Culver", meaning dove, wood-pigeon and the like,
is an English word and is also a surname.

The etymological origin seems to be "culfre, Old English".

Maybe they are related.

Ted.

Date: 19-Apr-00                                       Time: 10:02:27

"Please, at what time does the station leave this train?"
Albert Einstein (allegedly).