LL-L: "Historical linguistics" LOWLANDS-L, 09.AUG.2000 (04) [E/French]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 22:35:20 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.AUG.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Roger Thijs [roger.thijs at village.uunet.be]
Subject: LL-L: "Historical linguistics" LOWLANDS-L, 09.AUG.2000 (01) [E]

From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
Subject: "Historical linguistics" LOWLANDS-L,
in which the tongue stops the flow of air for a
moment):  the tongue strikes the teeth (Romance
languages) or the alveolar ridge behind the teeth
(Germanic languages), whereas your description of
<dzj> sounds like a palatal stop: say “y” (e.g. Engl.
yes, German ja) and press your tongue against the
palate there.
I hadn't realized that Walloon and Flemish (how much
of Flemish?) had this feature, but Walloon has
apparently kept the old pronunciation, which Flemish
has adopted.  That's a common phenomenon when two
languages interact.<<<<<

When checking in Limburgish municipal dictionaries here, I see one rarely
recognizes dzj as a single consonant, rather as d+zj.
E.g. Xavier Staelens, in his "Dieksjenèèr van 't (H)essels, Nederlands -
Hasselts woordenboek", 1989, 582 + xxxviii pp. puts in his table of
consonants "sj" and "zj" on the crossing of "preapalatalen en palatalen"
and "fricatieven";
The square "preapalatalen en palatalen" crossing with "occlusieven" is empty.

In his comments below though he writes:
dzj:    dzjoe.mp "stomp, duw": d + zj, zoals in Eng. Jim.
Would you consider the J of Jim as two consonants or as a single one?
In my little English dictionary one writes indeed dz (the z has a tail) for
the phonetics.

The dot in dzjoe.mp stands for the tone ("sleeptoon")

Warnant in "La constitition phonique du mot wallon, Étude fondée sur le
parler d'Oreye (Hesbaye liégeoise)", Bibliotheque de la Faculté de
Philosophie et Lettres de l'Université de Liège, Fascicule CXXXV, 1956,