LL-L: "Standardization" LOWLANDS-L, 09.AUG.2000 (05) [D/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 22:37:26 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.AUG.2000 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Pepijn Hendriks [pepijnh at bigfoot.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Standardization" LOWLANDS-L, 09.AUG.2000 (02) [D/E/French]

Roger wrote:

>In "Voorzetten 50", Buitenlandse aardrijkskundige namen in het
>Nederlands, 1996, SDU en Nederlandse Taalunie, p. 68, it is still:
>België/ Belgique, Koninkrijk België/ Royaume de Belgique, Belgisch,
>Belg Id the diaeresis systematically dropped in the Netherlands
>nowadays?

No, it isn't.  Not the last time I looked, anyway.

>We have more -ië endings: Mongolië, Indonesië, Albanië,
>Groot-Brittannië, Italië, Joegoslavië, Kroatië, Moldavië, Macedonië,
>Roemenië, Slovenië, Tsjechië. I can't imagine the are all borrowings
>from German, with -n dropped. I'm wondering modern Dutchmen use rather
>Mongolie, Indonesie, Albanie etc. nowadays, without diaeresis.
>Inspiration by the French?

There are actually two endings, viz. _-ië_ and _-ije_, of which the
former is never stressed and the latter always.  They alternate, and
might for that reason be just one ending, historically spoken.

A similar alternation exists in English between _-y_ vs. _-ia_ and
German _-ien_ vs. _-ei_.  There, the relationship with stress is not
as clear as in Dutch, but it is still there, cf. German _Tschechien_
(stress on the first syllable) vs. _die Tschechei_ (stress on the last
syllable).

But other than that, they alternate just fine: G. _die Mongolei_ ~ E.
_Mongolia_ ~ D. _Mongolië_; E. _Hungary_ ~ D. _Hongarije_.
During the European Football Championship, I heard one reporter
asking some Italian fans whether they believed that "Italia"
(pronounced as if it were correct English, not like in Italian) would
win.  To me, these endings seem semi-productive and stress-
related.

Just my two cents,

-Pepijn