LL-L: "Standardization" LOWLANDS-L, 11.AUG.2000 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 11 23:59:10 UTC 2000

Sorry.  This one got away too early.  Here the full version.
 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.AUG.2000 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Kent Randau [kentr at tripnet.se]
Subject: LL-L: "Standardization" LOWLANDS-L, 02.AUG.2000 (06) [E]

>From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
>Subject: Language standardisation
>
>This may be of interest in relation to some recent lines of discussion.
>
>The city fathers of Göteborg have decided that they don't like the
>international designation of "Gothenburg" for their home and have laid
down
>that the Swedish name is to be used exclusively. The obvious problem is
that
>"Göteborg" is unpronounceable to people who don't understand Swedish
>spelling conventions. The pronunciation, in a pseudo-phonetic English
>spelling, is "Yerterbory", the first two r's not being pronounced.
>"Goaterborg", which is closer to the way most English speakers are likely
>pronounce the word, doesn't seem to be much of a gain on "Gothenburg".
Since
>the use of unaccented vowels is more Internet-friendly this seems to be a
>peculiarly bad time to make the switch.

Sorry, this reply should have been written many moons ago. But I
recently invested in a CD-R, so I waste more time burning CD:s and
less reading Lowlands-L. Anyway, I live just five minutes south of
Götebotg/Gothenburg. (Actually I don't have any problem with the use
of Gothenburg internationally)

>BTW, the Swedish rule for e-mail addresses is that the accent is simply
>omitted. What is the rule in Lowland languages?

I object to the idea that the special characters in Swedish, å, ä, ö
are mere accented vowels. To a native Swedish speaker those
characters are very much their own letters representing it's own
sound. The omission in email-adress has nothing to do with those
letters being "accents". They are replaced by the most similar
international standard letter, i.e. a and o.

My apologies for being late and possibly irrelevant
Kent Randau
(just south of Göteborg/Gothenburg - in Mölndal)

----------

From: Henry Pijffers [hpijffers at home.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Standardization" LOWLANDS-L, 11.AUG.2000 (06) [E]

John hef schreven:

>The Dutch plural of "radius" is "radii" (or "radiussen" - cf E.
"radiuses").
>A number of Latin-derived words in "-us" form plurals in this way. "-a"
>would be the plural form of a noun in "-um", eg "musea", "gymnasia".

-a is also used for the plural of stadion (-> stadia).
Just thought of that...

Henry

----------

From: Henry Pijffers [hpijffers at home.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Standardization" LOWLANDS-L, 10.AUG.2000 (09) [E]

Below I included my answer to Ron's questionaire.
I've edited it a little, added some tabs, instead of paces, for
readability.
I also added a somewhat phonetic representation of my dialect.
(sorry, still don't know much about Sampa).

I added 14, 15, 16 and 17. I'm not sure how to explain how to pronounce
them, so I'll leave that to a later date, but I added the numbers, so I
can
tag
the words that share the same sound, yet are different from the others.

regards,
Henry

Please indicate the number after each:

01 [a] (e.g. German _Mann_)
02 [a.] (slightly longer than 1)
03 [a:] (e.g. Dutch _baas_ or Australian _part_)
04 [a:.] (extra-long version of 1)
06 [Q] (e.g. Dutch _kan_)
07 [Q.] (half-long version of 4)
08 [Q:] (or [O:], e.g. "posh" British/South African _part_)
09 [Q:.] (extra-long version of 4)
10 [o:] (e.g. German _Rose_)
11 [o:.] (extra-long version of 10)
12 [oU] (e.g. _go_ in most English and American varieties)
13 [o.U] (longer version of 12)

                Ron             Henry           Comment

man:            man     01      ma'     01
day:            dag     01      dag     01
that:           dat     01      daet    (??)    sounds like "that", with d
in front
roof:           dak     01      dak     01
cat:            kat     01      katte   01
to laugh:               lachen  01      lachen  01
might:          macht   01      mach'   01
strength:       kraft/kracht 01 krach'  01
fast, tight:    fast    01      fast(e) 01
damp:           damp    02      damp    02
thank:          dank    02      dank    02
dance:          danss   02      dans(e) 02
tight:          drang   02      strak   01
all:            al      02      all'    01
to fall:                fallen  02      fallen  01
comb:           kam     02      kam     01
to catch:               fangen  02      fangen  01
edge:           kant    02      kant    02
paddock:        kamp    02      kamp    02
sound:          klang   02      klank   02
land:           land    02      land    02
long:           lang    02      lank    02
cherry:         kars    03      ka's    01
cart:           kar     03      karre   04
work:           wark    03      woark   (14)
wharf:          warf(t) 03      woarf   (14)
church:         kark    03      koarke  (14)
part:           part    03      deel    --
market:         markt   03      moark   (14)
mountain:       barg    03      boarg   (14)
piglet:         farken  03      foarken (14)
color/paint:    farv(') 03      foarve  (14)
waggon:         wagen   08      wag'n   03
to come:                kamen   08      kommen (??)
open:           apen    08      lös     (??)    "open" 11 is also used
to cook:                kaken   08      kokken  (??)
drive,ride:     faart   08      jag'n   03      fören
to complain:    klagen  08      klag'n  03
deed:           daad    08      dååd    (15)    not sure about the "posh"
part
ape,monkey:     aap     08      aap     03      possible Dutch influence
to bathe:               baden   08      baden   08
evening:                avend   08      åmend   (15)
moon, month:    maand   08      måne (16), måånd (16)
sheep:          schaap  08      schååp  (15)
often:          faken   08      fake    03      possible Dutch influence
pole, post:     paal    08      poal    (16)
(pea) pod:      paal    08      pölle   (??)
down(ward):     daal    08      dale    08
to stand:               staan   08      stoan   (16)
train,track:    baan    08      baan    03      possible Dutch influence
to dwell:               wanen   08      wonnen  (??)    possible Dutch
influence
done:           daan    08      (e)dåån (15)    the e is sometimes
prepended
state:          staat   08      stååt   (15)
to let:         laten   08      låten   (15)
late:           laat    08      late    03
pair,couple:    paar    08      poar    14
beard:          baard   08      board   14
fog:            daak    08      mist            Dutch loan?
to make:                maken   08      maken   03
messengers:     baden   08      ?
steel:          staal   08      stoal   (16)
boss:           baas    08      baas    03
hare:           haas    09      hazen   03
days:           daag'   09      dage    03
lady:           daam'   09      ?               I always use "frau(e)"
messenger:      baad'   09      ?
complaint:      klaag'  09      klach'  01
coal:           kaal(') 08/09   kol'n   (??)
name:           naam(') 08/09   naam    03      Dutch influence
so:             soo 10/sou 12   soo     11
dead:           dood 10/doud 12 dood    11
red:            rood 10/roud 12 rood    11
bean:           boon' 11/boun' 13 bone  11
merely:         bloots 11/blouts 13 alenig      --      sometimes "bloots"
11
right away:     fourts  12      foorts  11
boat:           bout    12      boot    11
book:           bouk    12      book    (17)
cake:           kouken  12      koken   (17)
bread:          broud   12      stute   ??      sometimes brood 11
cabbage:        koul    12      kool    11
plumb:          lout    12      lood    11
dream:          droum   12      droum   12
tree:           boum    12      boom    11
school:         schoul  12/13   schole  (17)
eye:            oog 11/oug 13   oge     11
great:          groot 11/grout 13       groot   11
success:        spoud'  13      succes  --
brine:          loug' 13                ?

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Standardization

Kent Randau wrote:

> I object to the idea that the special characters in Swedish, å, ä, ö
> are mere accented vowels. To a native Swedish speaker those
> characters are very much their own letters representing it's own
> sound. The omission in email-adress has nothing to do with those
> letters being "accents". They are replaced by the most similar
> international standard letter, i.e. a and o.

I can relate to this very well.  What to some people (i.e., those whose
languages don't have them, especially English speakers) look like some other
letters with bits added to them are to most native speakers letters in their
own right.  Hence a sense of being disrespected when the English language
media -- with the exception of a few "high-brow" publications -- routinely
ignore "accented" letters of the Roman alphabet even though they have them at
their disposal.  They simply won't bother, consider it superfluous foreign
stuff.  One person told me, "It would only confuse the readers."  Why?
Because they aren't used to them appearing in print!

Henry, thanks for your feed-back.

Thanks also for the tabs, even though they confuse my software, because it's
default tabs are set so that some of the lines go too far over right.  (That's
why I never use tabs in email messages.)

You wrote:

> I added 14, 15, 16 and 17. I'm not sure how to explain how to pronounce
> them, so I'll leave that to a later date, but I added the numbers, so I
> can
> tag
> the words that share the same sound, yet are different from the others.

> that:           dat     01      daet    (??)    sounds like "that"

[æ], I suppose.  That might be an additional phoneme.

> work:           wark    03      woark   (14)
> wharf:          warf(t) 03      woarf   (14)
> church:         kark    03      koarke  (14)
> part:           part    03      deel    --
> market:         markt   03      moark   (14)
> mountain:       barg    03      boarg   (14)
> piglet:         farken  03      foarken (14)
> color/paint:    farv(') 03      foarve  (14)

Your 14 is not the output of a single but of two /åår/; thus there is no 14.
Note that all the words with 14 have the sequence _ar_.  I assume that the
final [a] sound in the sequence is the phonetic output of /r/.

The difference in our two dialects is that where I have /ar/ you have /åår/,
hence _kark_ [ka:k] vs _koark_ [kQ:Ak] (or is it [kQ:Ark], i.e., is the /r/
sounded as [r]?).  We have the sound sequence [Q:A] also:

> pair,couple:    paar    08      poar    14
> beard:          baard   08      board   14

So it's simply 08 followed by /r/.

> deed:           daad    08      dååd    (15)    not sure about the "posh"
> ape,monkey:     aap     08      aap     03      possible Dutch influence
> to bathe:               baden   08      baden   08
> evening:                avend   08      åmend   (15)
> moon, month:    maand   08      måne (16), måånd (16)
> sheep:          schaap  08      schååp  (15)
> often:          faken   08      fake    03      possible Dutch influence
> pole, post:     paal    08      poal    (16)
> (pea) pod:      paal    08      pölle   (??)
> down(ward):     daal    08      dale    08
> to stand:               staan   08      stoan   (16)
> train,track:    baan    08      baan    03      possible Dutch influence
> to dwell:               wanen   08      wonnen  (??)    possible Dutch
> influence
> done:           daan    08      (e)dåån (15)    the e is sometimes
> prepended
> state:          staat   08      stååt   (15)
> to let:         laten   08      låten   (15)
> late:           laat    08      late    03

Your 15 is superfluous.  It's actually 08.  All the words in my dialect
indicated by "08" have this [Q:] sound that you write as "åå".  The difference
are those words where I have 08 ([Q:]) and you have 03 ([a:]).  In other
words, where I have 08, you have either 08 or 03.  You assume that those with
03 are Dutch loans (since this is the sound of _aap_ in Standard Dutch).
Whether this is true or not, the fact is that your dialect has this additional
phoneme.

> to bathe:               baden   08      baden   08

My 08 is the [Q:] sound (your "å"), but you write "baden".  Is this the back
rounded sound (08) or the sound in Standard Dutch -baden_ (03 [a:])?

I do not know what sound 16 is and if it's really a separate phoneme or an
allphone.  I'd need to see more words with this sound.

> book:           bouk    12      book    (17)
> cake:           kouken  12      koken   (17)
> school:         schoul  12/13   schole  (17)

How is your 17 different from 10 [(o:]) and 12 ([oU])?

> fog:            daak    08      mist            Dutch loan?

We have _Mist_ [mIs(t)] too (not to be confused with _Mist_ [mIs(t)] ~ _Mest_
[mEs(t)] 'dung', 'muck'!).  _Daak_ [dQ:k] usually refers to 'fog' and may be
interchangeable with _Nevel_ [ne:vl] ~ [nE:vl] ~ [ne:bl] ~ [nE:bl], while
_Mist_ refers to 'mist' or 'haze' (> _mistig_ ['mIstIC] 'misty', 'hazy').

Gröötnissen,