LL-L: "Standardization" LOWLANDS-L, 11.AUG.2000 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 11 23:17:47 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.AUG.2000 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Kent Randau [kentr at tripnet.se]
Subject: LL-L: "Standardization" LOWLANDS-L, 02.AUG.2000 (06) [E]

>From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
>Subject: Language standardisation
>
>This may be of interest in relation to some recent lines of discussion.
>
>The city fathers of Göteborg have decided that they don't like the
>international designation of "Gothenburg" for their home and have laid down
>that the Swedish name is to be used exclusively. The obvious problem is that
>"Göteborg" is unpronounceable to people who don't understand Swedish
>spelling conventions. The pronunciation, in a pseudo-phonetic English
>spelling, is "Yerterbory", the first two r's not being pronounced.
>"Goaterborg", which is closer to the way most English speakers are likely to
>pronounce the word, doesn't seem to be much of a gain on "Gothenburg". Since
>the use of unaccented vowels is more Internet-friendly this seems to be a
>peculiarly bad time to make the switch.

Sorry, this reply should have been written many moons ago. But I
recently invested in a CD-R, so I waste more time burning CD:s and
less reading Lowlands-L. Anyway, I live just five minutes south of
Götebotg/Gothenburg. (Actually I don't have any problem with the use
of Gothenburg internationally)

>BTW, the Swedish rule for e-mail addresses is that the accent is simply
>omitted. What is the rule in Lowland languages?

I object to the idea that the special characters in Swedish, å, ä, ö
are mere accented vowels. To a native Swedish speaker those
characters are very much their own letters representing it's own
sound. The omission in email-adress has nothing to do with those
letters being "accents". They are replaced by the most similar
international standard letter, i.e. a and o.

My apologies for being late and possibly irrelevant
Kent Randau
(just south of Göteborg/Gothenburg - in Mölndal)

----------

From: Henry Pijffers [hpijffers at home.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Standardization" LOWLANDS-L, 11.AUG.2000 (06) [E]

John hef schreven:

>The Dutch plural of "radius" is "radii" (or "radiussen" - cf E. "radiuses").
>A number of Latin-derived words in "-us" form plurals in this way. "-a"
>would be the plural form of a noun in "-um", eg "musea", "gymnasia".

-a is also used for the plural of stadion (-> stadia).
Just thought of that...

Henry

----------

From: Henry Pijffers [hpijffers at home.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Standardization" LOWLANDS-L, 10.AUG.2000 (09) [E]

Below I included my answer to Ron's questionaire.
I've edited it a little, added some tabs, instead of paces, for readability.
I also added a somewhat phonetic representation of my dialect.
(sorry, still don't know much about Sampa).

I added 14, 15, 16 and 17. I'm not sure how to explain how to pronounce
them, so I'll leave that to a later date, but I added the numbers, so I can
tag
the words that share the same sound, yet are different from the others.

regards,
Henry

Please indicate the number after each:

01 [a] (e.g. German _Mann_)
02 [a.] (slightly longer than 1)
03 [a:] (e.g. Dutch _baas_ or Australian _part_)
04 [a:.] (extra-long version of 1)
06 [Q] (e.g. Dutch _kan_)
07 [Q.] (half-long version of 4)
08 [Q:] (or [O:], e.g. "posh" British/South African _part_)
09 [Q:.] (extra-long version of 4)
10 [o:] (e.g. German _Rose_)
11 [o:.] (extra-long version of 10)
12 [oU] (e.g. _go_ in most English and American varieties)
13 [o.U] (longer version of 12)

                Ron             Henry           Comment

man:            man     01      ma'     01
day:            dag     01      dag     01
that:           dat     01      daet    (??)    sounds like "that", with d in front
roof:           dak     01      dak     01
cat:            kat     01      katte   01
to laugh:               lachen  01      lachen  01
might:          macht   01      mach'   01
strength:       kraft/kracht 01 krach'  01
fast, tight:    fast    01      fast(e) 01
damp:           damp    02      damp    02
thank:          dank    02      dank    02
dance:          danss   02      dans(e) 02
tight:          drang   02      strak   01
all:            al      02      all'    01
to fall:                fallen  02      fallen  01
comb:           kam     02      kam     01
to catch:               fangen  02      fangen  01
edge:           kant    02      kant    02
paddock:        kamp    02      kamp    02
sound:          klang   02      klank   02
land:           land    02      land    02
long:           lang    02      lank    02
cherry:         kars    03      ka's    01
cart:           kar     03      karre   04
work:           wark    03      woark   (14)
wharf:          warf(t) 03      woarf   (14)
church:         kark    03      koarke  (14)
part:           part    03      deel    --
market:         markt   03      moark   (14)
mountain:       barg    03      boarg   (14)
piglet:         farken  03      foarken (14)
color/paint:    farv(') 03      foarve  (14)
waggon:         wagen   08      wag'n   03
to come:                kamen   08      kommen (??)
open:           apen    08      lös     (??)    "open" 11 is also used
to cook:                kaken   08      kokken  (??)
drive,ride:     faart   08      jag'n   03      fören
to complain:    klagen  08      klag'n  03
deed:           daad    08      dååd    (15)    not sure about the "posh" part
ape,monkey:     aap     08      aap     03      possible Dutch influence
to bathe:               baden   08      baden   08
evening:                avend   08      åmend   (15)
moon, month:    maand   08      måne (16), måånd (16)
sheep:          schaap  08      schååp  (15)
often:          faken   08      fake    03      possible Dutch influence
pole, post:     paal    08      poal    (16)
(pea) pod:      paal    08      pölle   (??)
down(ward):     daal    08      dale    08
to stand:               staan   08      stoan   (16)
train,track:    baan    08      baan    03      possible Dutch influence
to dwell:               wanen   08      wonnen  (??)    possible Dutch influence
done:           daan    08      (e)dåån (15)    the e is sometimes prepended
state:          staat   08      stååt   (15)
to let:         laten   08      låten   (15)
late:           laat    08      late    03
pair,couple:    paar    08      poar    14
beard:          baard   08      board   14
fog:            daak    08      mist            Dutch loan?
to make:                maken   08      maken   03
messengers:     baden   08      ?
steel:          staal   08      stoal   (16)
boss:           baas    08      baas    03
hare:           haas    09      hazen   03
days:           daag'   09      dage    03
lady:           daam'   09      ?               I always use "frau(e)"
messenger:      baad'   09      ?
complaint:      klaag'  09      klach'  01
coal:           kaal(') 08/09   kol'n   (??)
name:           naam(') 08/09   naam    03      Dutch influence
so:             soo 10/sou 12   soo     11
dead:           dood 10/doud 12 dood    11
red:            rood 10/roud 12 rood    11
bean:           boon' 11/boun' 13 bone  11
merely:         bloots 11/blouts 13 alenig      --      sometimes "bloots" 11
right away:     fourts  12      foorts  11
boat:           bout    12      boot    11
book:           bouk    12      book    (17)
cake:           kouken  12      koken   (17)
bread:          broud   12      stute   ??      sometimes brood 11
cabbage:        koul    12      kool    11
plumb:          lout    12      lood    11
dream:          droum   12      droum   12
tree:           boum    12      boom    11
school:         schoul  12/13   schole  (17)
eye:            oog 11/oug 13   oge     11
great:          groot 11/grout 13       groot   11
success:        spoud'  13      succes  --
brine:          loug' 13                ?

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Standardization