LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 18.AUG.2000 (01) [D/E/Danish/Norwegian]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 18 15:30:43 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.AUG.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Etymology

Roger asked:

>Heeft dit woord [momber] nog een ruimer gebruik dan enkel in Limburgse
dialecten?<

Well, it's in Van Dale as "momber" or "momboor", but labelled "verouderd,
Zuidnederlands", and also as "momboor", labelled "verouderd", in De Vries's
Etymologisch Woordenboek. (There is an OE cognate "mundbora".) Who uses it
is another question.

Ron asked about "couth". Chambers Etymological Dictionary says it died out
in the 1700s first time round.

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk