LL-L: "Interspecies Lowlandic" LOWLANDS-L, 27.AUG.2000 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 27 20:05:01 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 27.AUG.2000 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Iustin Churchill [mladios at hotmail.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Interspecies Lowlandic" LOWLANDS-L, 26.AUG.2000 (06) [E]

Fred van Brederode wrote:
>These dogs are trained by Dutch people for Dutch
>disabled people. Strange enough they use commands in English. I thought
>that
>was rather odd...

   That reminds me of an anecdote I read about a police dog. Interestingly
enough, some of(I don't know how many) our police dogs in America follow
German commands, and the story is about one such dog. A cop from a K9 unit
gave the German command for his dog to attack a suspect. The suspect, who
appearantly doesn't understand German, thought it was the dog's name and as

he was being attacked, repeatedly called out that same attack command
hoping
to calm the beast! I wonder though if that's exactly why that dog was
trained for German commands, that is, so only the K9 officers would know
how
to give the proper commands?

-Justin Churchill

----------

From: Henry Pijffers [hpijffers at home.nl]

Fred hef schreven:

>Is Dutch just for us, no foreigners allowed, no

..dogs allowed?
>Who can shine a light on this?

Maybe they teach the dogs English because maybe there's less difference in
pronunciation as when using Dutch? I'm sure I'd have to adapt my speech if
I had a dog like that, 'cause I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have a clue what
I'd
like him to do if I talked to him like I'm used to.

grooten,
Henry

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Interspecies Lowlandic

Could this be a question of marketability?  The Dutch-speaking market is
relatively small, and most Dutch speakers know English already.  A canine
professional (e.g., police dog, seeing eye dog, or canine assistant for the
handicapped) trained in English has the potential of being sold
internationally.

Might this be a case of growing English language dominance and a Dutch
language inferiority complex working together for profit?