LL-L: "Fonts" LOWLANDS-L, 28.AUG.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 28 17:32:14 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 28.AUG.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Fonts"

> From: Henry Pijffers [hpijffers at home.nl]
> Subject: LL-L: "Fonts" LOWLANDS-L, 26.AUG.2000 (05) [E]
>
> If the yogh you're looking for is represented in the Unicode
characterset,
> then you're safe with Netscape and Microsoft, as both browsers
support
> the Unicode characterset, last time I checked. And since the masses
use
> either Netscape or Microsoft...

Thanks, Henry. I've just checked the Unicode homepage at
http://www.unicode.org/ and the codes are:

uppercase yogh: 01B7
lowercase yogh: 0292

Unfortunately, it seems that just because the browser supports Unicode
doesn't mean it will display your character - the default font selected
in the browser still has to have the correct character at the correct
position in the font! In fact these codes won't work with the font I've
been trying, as the character is in the wrong place (accessed via the
wrong code, that is).

However, I've set ScotsteXt up with these characters for the time
being, to see if I can hit on a solution yet - there's a lot of stuff to
look
into on the Unicode pages, so we'll see!

With Times New Roman the yogh looks like a capital H circumflex at the
moment! If anyone happens to see a genuine yogh character somewhere on
ScotsteXt some fine summer morning, do let me know what font you have
your browser set to!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he