LL-L: "Folklore" LOWLANDS-L, 20.DEC.2000 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 00:50:18 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.DEC.2000 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Eldo Neufeld [greneuf at interchange.ubc.ca]
Subject: Saundmaun

Yes, Sandy, Ron, Elsie and others, we also knew the Sandman in the wilds of
Kansas when children didn't want to go to sleep in the 1930s and 1940s.
There was a bit of a threat involved.  The only exception was on Christmas
Eve when Santa took his place, throwing presents instead of sand down the
chimney, and that was certainly counter-productive!!  What I could never
figure out in those years was how sand in your eyes would make you sleep.
There's some sort of reverse logic there that I don't, to this day,
comprehend!

Eldo Neufeld
4040 Blenheim St.
Vancouver, BC   V6L 2Y9