LL-L: "Online resources" LOWLANDS-L, 21.DEC.2000 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 22 01:23:43 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.DEC.2000 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Online resources"

Ron,

Thanks for the great "Auld Lang Syne" site!

I get a problem with the PDF files - I get an error saying it can't find or
create the font. As a result I can't see the IPA symbol for the sound of the
letter "l" or for the sound of the letter "j". I have Acrobat 3.0 - that's not
an outdated version, is it?

There are a few pronunciations I wouldn't agree with:

    o   the "a" in "lang" should be long, I would say;
    o   ['gaw at ns] should be ['gaw at nz], ie the "s" is voiced;
    o   [@'twi:n] should be [@'twin], ie short;

A couple of points from the glossary:

    o   "braes" are "hillsides" rather than "banks";
    o   "fit" seems to me better translated as "foot"
        - or is this just because I'm used to the idiom?
    o   "syne" means "ago" or "then", not "since"
        - you need two entries, "syne" for "ago" and
          "sin" for "since".

Interesting to see the word "Maat" for "fiere" - is this where the English
(slang?) word "mate" comes from?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he
On nae accoont wad ever tell a lee.
                          - C.W.Wade,
                    'The Adventures o McNab'

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]

Thanks for the wonderful help, Sandy!  I think I've made all the necessary
corrections now (http://www.geocities.com/sassisch/auld_lang_syne.htm).  Don't
forget to refresh the pages if you visited them recently.

> I get a problem with the PDF files - I get an error saying it can't find > or
> create the font. As a result I can't see the IPA symbol for the sound of > the letter "l" or for the sound of the letter "j". I have Acrobat 3.0 - > that's not an outdated version, is it?

The latest version is 4.05.  But I don't know if you would not have had the
problem with it.  I used someone elses computer with version 3.0 to view the
pages and had the same problems you reported.  The reason is that for some
characters (i.e., the "thick" l, and the d3 digraph) I had used a different
font, or a different set of the same Lucida IPA font.  On someone else's
computer the viewer gave me an error message, saying that it could not display
that font because it was not available.  And here I was naively believing that
PDF files are a kind of postscript file and that one of their advantages is
that they are independent re font inventories at the reading end, that they
are electronic prints, so to speak, that do not need to load fonts!  That's
the main reason why I had gotten the program and had decided to display these
pages using it.  Hah!

Anyway, in the meantime I "fudged" a bit using the non-offending font set.  It
seems to work now.  Let me know if there's anything else.

Thanks again for your valuable input and also for your help by providing the
SAMPA version.