LL-L: "Administrativa" LOWLANDS-L, 04.FEB.2000 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 23:09:42 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.FEB.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Administrativa

Dear Lowlanders,

We are able to welcome a number of new subscribers.  Most of them joined us
this week.

This might be a good time to let them know and remind the rest of you of a few
rules pertaining to posting messages.

(1) Please send your submissions to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>,
not to my personal email address.

(2) Please stick to the Lowlands topic area.  To review it, please visit our
website at <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn/lowlands/>.

(3) Anonymous postings are not allowed, neither are those under a "pen name."
In other words, your (real) name must be visible somewhere in your posting.
At a minimum, the reader must be able to "reconstruct" it, for instance if
your surname appears in one place and your given name appears in your
"signature" (much the way I often do it, having "R. F. Hahn" at the beginning
and then "signing" with "Reinhard/Ron").  Anonymous submissions will be
returned to the sender with a request to identify him-/herself.  If anonymous
submissions keep coming from the same person, they will be ignored without an
explanation.

(4) If you respond to someone's posting and press the reply button, please
edit out from the quoted text everything that is not relevant, leaving only
the parts to which you are replying.  However, you must make sure to identify
the originator of the posting to which you are replying, which means in many
cases exchanging my name for the actual person who wrote it, unless I happened
to be that person.  At the very least, you must remove the masthead and the
footer. In the case of new subscribers I tend to let mistakes pass the first
time they post, hoping that my editing and other people's examples will be
instructional to them.  Thereafter I will bounce their submissions back to
them with the request to resubmit them properly edited.  If the problem
persists thereafter, I will ignore any such unedited submission by that person
without notifying them.

(5) There have been a couple of requests to remove the LL-L masthead and
footer.  This is simply not going to happen, for a number of reasons mentioned
several times in the past.  Apparently, a few subscribers perceive it as a
hardship when they have to scroll through a few lines of "blurb" to get to the
"good stuff."  Someone suggested that I move the top blurb to the bottom blurb
section.  Thank you.  I think that's a good compromise, and I have made this
change in part by moving the top disclaimer (the one we used to have just
below the language key) to the bottom, as some of you may have noticed.  For
me, the bottom line (no pun intended) is that the disclaimer is *somewhere* on
the page.  Yes, it *is* necessary.  Once in a while I get nasty messages
asking me why the <bleep> I keep sending them the <bleep>ing list issues, and
I'd better get them the <bleep> off or else ...  These accounts had been
subscribed by request (which I keep).  I have tried sending new subscribers a
request to confirm their continuous interest after a couple of weeks, but this
made no difference.  In a couple of these unpleasant incidents I was able to
elicit the information that a former girl- or boyfriend had used their account
(Duh!) and had subscribed it, in one case using their own name and in another
case using the owner's name -- all this despite the requirement to state that
they are subscribing their own account.  -- So, please bear with the blurb,
wherever it is.

Thanks for your cooperation and support.

Best regards,

Reinhard "Ron" Hahn
Lowlands-L Aministrator