LL-L: "Appalachian" LOWLANDS-L, 05.FEB.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 04:36:40 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.FEB.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk]
Subject: "Appalachian"

I've been trying to find sources on Appalachian on the Web (including
amazon), but they seem very scarce. The book on the language by Donna
Christian and Walt Wolfram seems long out of print and most Appalachian
culture pages simply have texts in pure standard English by Appalachian
writers. There is a large bibliography at
http://www.wvu.edu/~appalach/a-1f.htm but it doesn't seem to contain
anything I could learn about the language from. There are no Appalachian
resource links on Lowlands-L (or am I looking it up wrongly?).

A search in amazon on "Walt Wolfram" does turn up a considerable number of
books on American dialects, but it's not at all clear which if any of them
would be really helpful for Appalachian.

So so far I still only have a few scholarly articles on the language and a
couple of books in it ("The Jack Tales" by Richard Chase - also have his
other book of songs and stories - and "John the Balladeer" by Manly Wade
Wellman).

Could anybody make any suggestions - especially for something reasonably
comprehensive on the language and available in print?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
http://www.fleimin.demon.co.uk

   type of format, in your submissions.