LL-L: "Language policies" LOWLANDS-L, 25.FEB.2000 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 17:07:01 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.FEB.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Gustaaf Van Moorsel [gvanmoor at aoc.nrao.edu]
Subject: LL-L: "Language policies" LOWLANDS-L, 24.FEB.2000 (02) [E]

Roger Thijs wrote:

> Afrikaans and Dutch are __different languages__. Though the morphology is
> still similar enough for that people can read each other's written language
> relatively easely, and after a few hours can tune their ears to the way the
> other speaks.

Though I realize that Afrikaans and Dutch are different languages,
it is also my experience that to my Dutch ears no other language
is as easy to follow (without training) as Afrikaans; even Frisian,
Gronings, Flemish dialects, to name a few, are much harder.  We
have an Afrikaans speaking visitor here right now, and we started
conversing without any problem without requiring a few hours of
tuning.

Gustaaf