LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 25.FEB.2000 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 17:21:53 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.FEB.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: gavilan [gavilan at nbnet.nb.ca]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" (was "Grammar") LOWLANDS-L, 25.FEB.2000 (02) [E]

Regarding the etymology of 'get', I've pasted this from the American Heritage
dictionary I have on my hard disk.

I was surprised to hear that Ron has lived in Australia. Now we know why he
has that sexy and intriguing accent in his English! I must admit I'd been
curious. BTW, Ron, can you tell me if there are regional varieties ('accents')
in Australia like there are in the USA. That is, can one tell if X is from
Melboure and Y is from Brisbane?

ghend-. Important derivatives are: get, forget, guess, prison, apprehend,
comprehend, surprise, prey.
ghend-. Also ghed-. To seize, take.

1.a. GET, from Old Norse geta, to get; b. BEGET, from Old English beg(i)etan,
to get, beget, from Germanic compound *bigetan, to acquire (*bi-, intensive
prefix; see ambhi); c. FORGET, from Old English forg(i)etan, to forget, from
Germanic compound *fer-getan, ³to lose one's hold,² forget (*fer-, prefix
denoting rejection; see per1). a, b, and c all from Germanic *getan.

2. GUESS, from Middle English gessen, to guess, from a Scandinavian source
akin to Old Swedish gissa, to guess, from Germanic *getisÅn, ³to try to get,²
aim at.

3. Basic form *ghend-. PREHENSILE, PREHENSION, PRISON, PRIZE2, (PRIZE3),
(PRY2); APPREHEND, (APPRENTICE), (APPRISE), COMPREHEND, (COMPRISE), EMPRISE,
ENTERPRISE, (ENTREPRENEUR), MISPRISION1, PREGNABLE, REPREHEND, (REPRISAL),
(REPRISE), SURPRISE, from Latin prendere, prehendere, to get hold of, seize,
grasp (pre-, prae-, before; see per1).
4. Form *ghed-. PREDATORY, PREY, SPREE; DEPREDATE, OSPREY, from Latin praeda,
booty (< *prai-heda, ³something seized before²; prai-, prae-, before;
seeper1). [Pokorny ghend- 437.]

        -+-  Bob Thiel  -+-
        gavilan at nbnet.nb.ca
    Translator: Spanish to English