LL-L: "Delectable" LOWLANDS-L, 27.FEB.2000 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 27 20:52:19 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.FEB.2000 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Roger P. G. Thijs [roger.thijs at village.uunet.be]
Subject: LL-L: "Delectables" LOWLANDS-L, 26.FEB.2000 (08) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
> Subject: Delectables
> One of *the* North German dishes is "Labskaus."  There are many variants.
> give you a rough idea, here is one of the recipes, somewhat abbreviated:
> Fry small cubes of corned beef and onion in butter to a golden brown.
> Boil peeled and cubed potatoes in water with salt and peppercorns until
done.
> Mix all together with cubed pickles (= pickled cucumber) and season to
taste
> with salt, vinegar, and mustard.

Except for the cucumber it's very much similar, I think, to _pyttipanna_.
Here in Antwerp it's on the menu in the little restaurant of the Swedish
Seemen's Church (Sjömanskyrkan, Noorderlaan 169). The potato-fish
combination is rather "Janssons frestelse", I think.

"Kaus" may be related to the Dutch "kost" (Limburgish "koos"):
Bè z'n aas in de koos zin (Limb.): Bij z'r ouders in de kost zijn (Eat at
one's parent's home, at their expence).

Regards,

Roger

----------

From: Family Lindley [john at lindley-york.freeserve.co.uk]

Hi

In Britain lobscouse is a Merseyside dish (they use mutton or lamb) and
those in the know from Liverpool always claim Scandinavian origins.  Whether
this goes back to Norse invasions or just medieval seafaring is another matter.

The significance for us is the use of the term for Liverpudlians and their
accent/
dialect.  The Oxford Concise English Dictionary gives:

Scouse // n. & adj. colloq.
n.
1 the dialect of Liverpool.
2 (also Scouser) a native of Liverpool.
3 (scouse) = lobscouse.
adj. of or relating to Liverpool.
[abbreviation of lobscouse]

Regards

John Lindley
Wigginton
York.

----------

From: Pat Reynolds [pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk]

In message <38B8834E.97EDA84B at yahoo.com>, Lowlands-L Administrator
<sassisch at yahoo.com> writes
>From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
>Subject: Delectables
>before, but I did found it on the Web mentioned in connection with old-time
>sailors' lives, without any recipes being given.  Does any of you have more
>information about it?  Is there any Norwegian and/or Scots connection at all?

Lobscouse is, I think, mostly known in England (when it is known) as the
word which gave rise to Scouse meaning 'from Liverpool'.

Best wishes to all,
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk