LL-L: "Online resources" (was "Neologisms") LOWLANDS-L, 27.FEB.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 27 20:54:03 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.FEB.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk]
Subject: "International Scientific Vocabulary"

> From: "Ian James Parsley" <parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L: "Language policies" LOWLANDS-L, 25.FEB.2000 (03) [E]

> This brings me back to a Lowlands subject in fact. Instead of tackling
> what
> I perceive as the real issues confronting the Ulster dialect of Scots,
> most
> Ulster-Scots enthusiasts seem to spend most of their day making up
> Ulster-Scots translations for modern technological terms. I am
> completely
> opposed to this process, basically because of what happened in Germany.

You'll be pleased (I hope!) to know I'm setting up a new website to help
technical and scientific writers in Scots to use the ISV (International
Scientific Vocabulary) in Scots. This should help to promote good quality
writing in more technical areas in Scots.

However there are some interdialectical and orth-gr-ph-c problems I need to
resolve. I wonder if Scots speakers here could tell me how these things are
said in their own dialects and how they think they should be written?
Unfortunately all Scots dictionaries to date are very traditional in
approach and so not very helpful (which is one good reason fro doing the
site, of course). Perhaps latin and Greek scholars could also suggest
clarifying interpretations of the derivations.

1. The ending "-oid" (e.g. asteroid, meteoroid), from the Greek "-like". In
my own dialect, I would pronounce this [@id], e.g. "meteoryde". Is this done
in other Scots dialects? There's more I could say about this, but I'd like
to get the dialectical variation aspect behind us before continuing the
discussion.

2. The "i" in perceived-Latinate words in Scots is usually pronounced [i]
rather than [I] in a stressed syllable, e.g. "conseestency", "eemage
perseestence". This isn't done very consistently in my dialect, though it
rarely sonds wrong when it is done consistently. The question is, should
this be done consistently in written Scots, or are there many exceptions? If
it's consistent, would it be better to spell it "i" for simplicity? (you'll
notice that I avoid the "lamprey" digraph "ei" in Latinate stresses, because
I find that a surfeit of lampreys quickly renders technical Scots writing
indigestible.)

3. The initial "a" [a:] in perceived-Latinate words in my dialect changes to
[e:]. E.g. "astronomy" but "aistronomical". Is this widespread? If so, then
is it worth reflecting in writing, considering the consistency of the
change?

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
http://www.fleimin.demon.co.uk