LL-L: "Phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 27.JAN.2000 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 17:06:04 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JAN.2000 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From:  "Ian James Parsley" <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L: "Phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 26.JAN.2000 (05) [E]

Ron et al,

I would have thought quite an obvious example of metathesis is "born"
vs.
"bruenn" in northern/southern German, where "born" is cognate to Scots
"burn".

There are piles of other examples I can think of, but one which is
directly
relevant is the tendency, at least here in Ulster, towards saying
"modren"
and "pattren" rather than "modern" and "pattern". It does seem to be
particularly common with liquid consonants and vowels, though I'm no
expert
on phonology generally.

I should add to those beginning to study linguistics that the word
"metathesis" is pronounced with the stress on the second syllable.

Best,
Ian James Parsley
http://www.gcty.com/parsleyij
"JOY - Jesus, Others, You"