LL-L: "Scots" LOWLANDS-L, 27.JAN.2000 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 17:05:58 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JAN.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Robin Huggett [rhuggett at datasource.net]
Subject: Ulster Scots Newsbit

I thought this list might be interested in this tidbit I found on the Belfast
Telegraph online:

Support Ulster Scots campaign, nationalists urged

AN SDLP councillor is calling on nationalists to help the Ulster Scots
movement.
 Carmel O'Boyle, a member of Down District Council, said nationalists should
"respect, understand and tolerate the aspirations" of the Ulster Scots
movement.
She told a council meeting that the language needs "our help" in getting off
the ground in the district.
Mrs O'Boyle obtained support for a motion calling on the SDLP controlled
council to set up a working party to examine ways of promoting the Irish and
Ulster Scots languages in line with the recommendation of the Good Friday
Agreement on minority languages.
 "I urge nationalists to respect, understand and tolerate the aspirations of
the Ulster Scots movement. In turn I call upon unionists to reciprocate."She
urged the council to take an "intellectual lead in identifying the issues and
defining the framework for progress in promoting the languages.
 "If, as I believe, the Ulster Scots activists are not well established in our
district then I would invite those enthusiasts from across Northern Ireland to
come into our district and promote the Ulster Scots language and tradition so
that all of us can become involved.
 "A word of warning to language activists on both sides - if we continue to
pursue language objectives in a consultational way and fail to understand that
what is good for one minority language is good for all minority languages,
then we will miss the golden opportunity given by the Good Friday Agreement to
bed down all minority languages in our community as part of a cherished and
shared culture which are part of the cultural wealth of the island of
Ireland."Ulster Unionist Harvy Bicker, seconding the motion, said it was a
genuine attempt to promote cross community understanding. He suggested the
council could provide leadership not only in Northern Ireland but throughout
Ireland.
 However, UK Unionist councillor Billy Alexander and the DUP's William Dick
both expressed opposition. Mr Dick said he was opposed to setting up a working
party as it woud add an extra burden on ratepayers. © Copyright Belfast
Telegraph Newspapers Ltd.