LL-L: "Songs" LOWLANDS-L, 27.JAN.2000 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 17:05:52 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JAN.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Richard L Turner [fr.andreas at juno.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Songs" LOWLANDS-L, 26.JAN.2000 (10) [Ap/E]

Sandy wrote:
"I'd suggest that the English version is older, the terms having become
obscure, and the Scots have replaced the obscure terms with real Scots
words
they'r familiar with (cock me cary -> kickmaleerie, kitty -> cuddy). Does
this make sense?"

It does if one accepts the tradition that it's an English folk-song that
spread to Scotland and America. Another thing that makes sense to me is
the "burden." It brings, at least to my eye, the picture of the witnesses
of the unlikely events in the song... a man with his declining equine in
a flimsy boat floating by downstream. If he hadn't seen it, who would
tell?

He goes on to ask:
"This brings up something I've always wondered when trying to sing
Appalachian songs - sometimes it's nearly impossible to get my tongue
round
some of the lines! Am I pronouncing syllables I ought to be dropping, and
consonent clusters that should be simplified?"

Well, probably. The trick is not to open the mouth very wide, make all
the vowels middle-vowels, and sing from your heart through your nose.
Good vocal training has spoiled many a folk-singer.

Yours,
+Fr Andreas Richard Turner.