LL-L: "Phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 30.JAN.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 30 18:34:00 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 30.JAN.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.geocities.com/~sassisch/rhahn//lowlands/>

From: Pat Reynolds [pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 29.JAN.2000 (02) [E]

>Peter Stornebrink wrote:
>Subject: Language dis-similarities
>
>Talking to my wife today about warts it struck me that the English and
>Dutch words are very similar except for a slight permutation of letters:
>English: wart
>Dutch: wrat
>
>My question are:
>Is there a reason for this dissimilarity?
>Can anyone think of other words that are likewise dissimilar as the result
>of a permutation (interchange of letters) in two or more Lowlandic words?

The metathetic wr- form is found in Scots, English dialects, Middle Low
German, and Low German, and Dutch has the regular form as a dialectal
variant The Oxford English Dictionary observes that this is "somewhat
noteworthy"

The word I'm having problems with remembering right at the moment in
Dutch is 'honderd' (English 'hundred') but this is due to the older
ending being 'ered', which English reduced one way, and Dutch another.

"Wrestle" and "worstellen" is another possible pair.  And I'm not sure
about "wrought" and "bewerkt".

Best wishes,
--
Pat Reynolds