LL-L: "Names" 02.JUL.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 2 19:13:47 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.JUL.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Frans Kwaad [kwaad.frans at worldmail.nl]
Subject: "Quade"

Dear Lowlanders,

I am a Dutchman, and I am in search of the origin of my last name, which is

'Kwaad'. Every Dutchman knows the meaning of this word , and will agree,
that it is a conspicuous name. Let me first report, what I have discovered
so far about the origin of my name, by studying various archives.

The founder of the family Kwaad in the Netherlands was Frans Quade. He was
of German origin (Cologne) and settled in the Dutch town Enkhuizen. This
was
probably around 1730, as his name was first recorded in Enkhuizen on 15th
March 1735, in the register of baptisms of the protestant church of
Enkhuizen. I encountered several different spellings of his name in the
baptismal register:
1735: Frans quade
1739: Frans barthel quade
1741: Frans Tilman Quaden
1744: Frans Tilman van Quaeden
1748: Frans Tideman van Quaaden
1750: Frans van Kwaden
1754: Frans Tilman de Quaden

On each of these seven occasions, Aaltje Jans Kralen is recorded as the
mother of the children that were baptised. Also, the same witness returns
at
several of the baptisms. This is sufficient evidence, that the father of
the
children was the same man, in spite of the different spellings of his name.

In the "Poortersboek" of Enkhuizen his name is written as:
1753: Frans van de Quaade (with the remark: "Uijt Keulen", i.e. from
Cologne)

In the register of burials and the register of burial taxes of Enkhuizen
his
name is written resp. as:
1760: Frans den quade
1760: Frans den Quaade

Gradually, the family name changed from Quade to Kwaad, and after 1827 only

the spelling 'Kwaad' occurs.

In present-day Dutch, the word, 'kwaad', means, 'bad' or  'angry'. In
13th-17th century Dutch, 'kwaad' was written as 'quaat', 'quaet' or
'quade'.  The word 'quade' does not occur in modern German. I don't know,
whether 'quade' has been a German word in the past, and, if so, when and
why
it has disappeared from the German language, and not from the Dutch
language. (Source: 'Franck's Etymologisch Woordenboek der Nederlandsche
Taal', Tweede Druk, 1912, door Dr. N. van Wijk; onveranderde herdruk, 1976,

Uitgeverij Martinus Nijhoff, 's-Gravenhage).

The words 'quad', 'quade' and 'quat' also occur in English. Webster's
Revised Unabridged Dictionary, 1998, gives for 'quad/quade': [akin to AS.
cw(=ae)d, cwead, dung, evil, G. kot, dung, OHG. qu(=a)t] Evil, bad,
baffling, as a quade wind. Citation from Chaucer (1343-1400): "Sooth play,
quad play, as the Fleming saith." Webster's Dictionary, 1913, gives for
'quat': (a) a pustule, (b) an annoying, worthless person. Shak.

I wonder, if  anyone can help me with the following questions:
- Has the word 'quade' been a German word in the past, and, if so,
precisely
in what meaning, and when did the word become obsolete?
- In which part(s) of  Germany and/or in which German dialect(s) has the
word 'quade' been used?
- Is anything known about the etymology of the word 'quade'?

With regards,

Frans Kwaad

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Names

Dear Frans,

The word _quade_ ~ _quaad_ ~ _quaat_ with the same meanings (plus 'poor'
and 'small' in some contexts) is still used in many Low Saxon (Low German)
dialects of Germany, and I would not be surprised to find it used in the
Low Saxon dialects of the Netherlands as well.

Please also consider the fact that, although the original dialect of
Cologne may not have been Saxon, there seems to have been Low Saxon
representation and probably also emigration of Low Saxon speakers there in
the olden days, considering for instance that Low Saxon books were
published in Cologne.  I am saying that so you might consider the
possibility that your ancestor's ancestors moved to Cologne from a
Saxon-speaking area.