LL-L: "Plautdietsch" 07.JUL.2000 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 8 02:58:34 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.JUL.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Plautdietsch

I used to subscribe to the Economist and now skim through it whenever I
have
the chance. I was a little surprised by Criostoir's attacks on it. I can
understand that someone might disapprove of its general political stance
and
even think that it misjudges certain issues - especially issues which are
highly complex, such as those concerning minority populations. On the other

hand Cristoir's sweeping condemnation seemed to me unjustified.

I therefore searched the Economist on-line archive to see what it had said
on the issues of Plautdietsch and Welsh bilingualism. The archive goes back

only to January 1995. Within that time period I could find no articles
which
I could match to Criostoir's descriptions.

It may be that despite my care I used inappropriate search terms or that
there is an earlier article on the repatriation of ethnic Germans from the
former USSR which I was unable to find. But if at one time the Economist
did
have a patronising attitude to the language(s) of these people I found no
evidence that it still has today. Two rather similar articles about ethnic
Germans in Kazakhstan appeared in the issues dated 28 June 1997 and 15
April
2000. The first of these contains the observation that many of those
repatriated to Germany "speak little German". That is the limit of the
linguistic comment.

The Economist of 18 July 1998 contained an article on bilingualism in
Wales.
Its general tenor was that with political power behind it a linguistic
minority can disadvantage members of the majority. It says among other
things:

"But in practice, it is impossible to assert Welsh without disadvantaging
English-only speakers to some extent. For example, making Welsh necessary
or
preferred for housing allocation or government jobs, as some local
authorities now do, certainly works against English-only applicants.
Gwynedd
County Council requires that all internal communications be in Welsh only
and either prefers or requires Welsh-speakers in all jobs. The reasoning is

that almost three-quarters of Gwynedd residents speak Welsh, and some are
more comfortable in that language. But it is also true that 100% of Gwynedd

residents speak English. Even for jobs in which linguistic skills are
barely
relevant, such as for a dustman or an accountant, English-only applicants
are in effect shut out."

This is perhaps the source of Criostoir's memory that
>For example, an article discussing the bilingual situation in Wales
claimed
that seeing as though all Welsh speakers also spoke English, there was
little reason for Welsh to be a co-official language.< I can't find a
closer
match.

I think it is clear that the point was not about Welsh being a co-official
language but about its being demanded as a condition of employment even
where it was irrelevant to the function of the post. It was in fact being
made the first language by this county council. But again, it is possible
that Criostoir was referring to another article which I was unable to find.

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk