LL-L: "Online resources" 07.JUL.2000 (05) [E/S]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 8 03:02:02 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.JUL.2000 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleemin [sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk]
Subject: "Online resources"

(The following is in Scots and in English).

If ye gae time saicont ti the ScotsteXt site at http://scotstext.org/ an
click on "Proverbs" ye'll see that the facility for allouin common spellin
variants automatic is reddy nou. The'r a checkbox for switchin it on an
aff. Whan it's switched on it'll match a hale lot o spellin variants - for
example, "bonnie" or even "bonie" will match "bonny", "buik" will match
"beuk", "coo" will match "cou", "fin" will match "finnd", "beild" an
"beeld" will baith match "bield" an aa that. Ye can uize wildcairds wi or
athoot the spellin variants. For a example, a sairch for proverbs wi aa o
the keywirds "soo docked night" will finnd:

"It wad be a hard task ti follow a black dockit sou throu a burnt muir this
nicht."

The'r some things it winna dae:

1. It winna match dialeck words or ither langages the likes o
Shetlandic/Ullans/English as a rule, but juist variants ithin the
traditional staunart. For example, naither "gweed", "gid" nor "good" will
match "guid". The raeson A hinna tried ti match thir is that it maks the
sairch that lowss it gits ti be a nuisance. A div hae plans for lattin fowk
wale a preferred dialeck for sairchin, tho - but it depends on bein
convinced that fowk's makkin guid uise o the thing as it stauns first!

2. It disna manage wi "magic E", eg "gude" winna match "guid". This is a
mair kittle business that A'll hae ti think aboot!

But for maist an muckle it means ye dinna hae ti ken _ma_ preferred spellin
ti finnd a wird - aa kin o acceptit spellins should staun a fair chance.

Gaun bi aa A'm haein ti write aboot it here on Lowlands-L, it's like A'll
hae ti write a help page efter aa!

As aye, if there onything ye dinna like, lat iz ken. Mind that this isna
juist aboot the proverbs - it's ti be raxed ti the poems an sangs, an in
the langer ayont ti the hale site.

A'd like ti tak the chance here ti thank aa the Lowlands-L fowk that's
pitten in a guid wird anent ScotsteXt ower the past year. But for the the
sake o betterin the site, it's criticism A'm efter the nou!

(English)

If you go _again_ to the ScotsteXt site at http://scotstext.org/ and click
on "Proverbs" you'll notice that the facility for allowing common spelling
variants is now available. There's a checkbox for switching it off and on.
When it's selected it will match a large number of spelling variants - for
example, "bonnie" or even "bonie" will match "bonny", "buik" will match
"beuk", "coo" will match "cou", "fin" will match "finnd", "beild" and
"beeld" will both match "bield" and so on. You can still use wildcards with
or without the spelling variants. For example, a search for proverbs
containing all of the keywords "docked soo night" will find:

"It wad be a hard task ti follow a black dockit sou throu a burnt muir this
nicht."

There are some things it won't do:

1. It won't match dialect words or other languages such as
Shetlandic/Ullans/English as a rule, just variants within the traditional
Scots standard. For example, neither "gweed", "gid" nor "good" will match
"guid". The reason I haven't tried to match these is that it makes the
search so broad it can be a nuisance. I do have plans for allowing a
preferred dialeck to be chosen, but it depends on me being convinced that
people are making good use of what's already there!

2. It doesn't deal with "magic E", eg "gude" won't match "guid". This is a
slightly more complicated business that I'll need to think about!

But on the whole it means that you don't have to be familiar with _my_
preferred spellings to find a word - a knowledge of any traditional Scots
spelling should stand you in good stead.

Going by the amount I'm having to write about it here on Lowlands-L, I
think I'm going to have to provide a help page on the site after all!

As always, if there's anything you don't like, let me know. Remember that
this isn't just for the proverbs - it'll be extended to work with the poems
and songs and eventually the whole site.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the Lowlanders who have
offered encouragement with the ScotsteXt site over the past year. For now,
however, I'm trying hard to improve the site and would particularly
appreciate criticism!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org