LL-L: "Language politics" 18.JUL.2000 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 19 04:07:12 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 18.JUL.2000 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Language politics"

> From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
> Subject: Language politics
>
> Sandy wrote:
>
> >I now realise that English law not only applies in Scotland
> and the USA, but out to the furthest reaches of the Galaxy and
beyond!<

> Can we have a quote to support this? I can't believe that a brief
> work would
> devote much space to this idea so I guess it would be expressed
fairly
> concisely.

As a matter of fact, most of the first chapter of the little book  (which
is intended as an exam crib) examines the supremacy of parliament and
various attempts to limit it and why they might fail. As requested, I quote
a relevant chunk of text:

<start quote>
According to Blackstone, "What Parliament doth, no power on earth can
undo."
"In theory," said Dicey, "Parliament hath total power. It is sovereign."

Dicey's view of Parliamentary supremacy:

(a) Parliament was competent to pass laws on any subject.
(b) Its laws could regulate the activities of anyone, anywhere.
(c) Parliament could not bind its successors as to the content, manner
and form of subsequent legislation.
(d) Laws passed by Parliament could not be challenged by the courts.
<end quote>

Dicey and Blackstone aren't modern writers, but, as the rest of the
chapter explains, changes since then go in two directions. In the direction
of democracy, some limitations are accomplished by an uneasy deference to
European law. In the direction of plutocracy, it would be more accurate to
say "The Cabinet" rather than "Parliament" these days.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
  Things in this subloonary warld bein far frae
perfeck, 'No that bad' is the maist that mortal
man can venture tae say while here ablo.
             - Catherine P. Slater, 'Marget Pow'