LL-L: "Language conflicts" LOWLANDS-L, 24.JUL.2000 (05) [E/S]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 25 03:12:27 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 24.JUL.2000 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

 From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Language politics"

> From: Colin Wilson [lcwilson at iee.org]
> Subject: LL-L: "Language politics" 15.JUL.2000 (04) [E/S]
>
> At 18:55 15/07/00 -0700, Sandy Fleming wrote:
> >(I, Colin Wilson, previously wrote)
> >>Perhaps this is a first step that we ought to take, a survey of
public
> >>attitudes to the official promotion of Scots.
> >
> >And how is this going to be done?
>
> I think the most obvious way is for the SLS to pay for someone to
> do it, someone who has the relevant expertise. As far as I know,
> the SLS could afford it.

Colin, your news on the state of the SLS never fails to surprise me! I
always imagined they were struggling financially. I can't emphasise
enough
the importance of having surveys done professionally, though - a
botched
survey is a lot easier to do than a good one, and gives results that
can be
interpreted to mean almost anything, and therefore would play right
into the
hands of those in power who are determined to interpret it to mean that
Scots doesn't exist, or doesn't matter.

On the subject of money, an opinion poll (as opposed an to academic
survey
such as the one that gave rise to the Linguistic Atlas of Scotland)
really
has to offer incentives for taking the trouble to fill the form or
whatever,
independent of the subject matter. For example, the census offers
staying
out of jail as an incentive, commercial surveys offer prizes. Otherwise
those who have a special motive for replying are liable to swamp all
others,
and introduce a severe bias (eg people who feel _threatened_ by Scots
might
account for most of the response). So it may cost a lot more than just
the
printing and postage!

However, taking your other point:

> From: Colin Wilson [lcwilson at iee.org]
> Subject: LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 23.JUL.2000 (02) [E]
>
> At 21:52 23/07/00 -0700, john feather wrote:
> >
> >Not only do curricula get overcrowded but there is a danger that
teaching
> >Scots may be seen as a means of imposing the culture of the
> white majority on minorities.
>
> There's no risk of that, of course, if it's taught only to children
whose
> families want them to learn it.

...even if the majority (ie city-dwellers) didn't want Scots taught to
their
children, I suppose we could still make a strong case for teaching
Scots in
certain areas. I'd been thinking more in terms of a vote than a survey,
I suppose (Scotland has set a bad precendent there!).

John Magnus wrate:

> Replying to Sandy here, the problem is that the assumption that
> it is ok to
> allow a language to die because its native speakers are no longer
> interested is effectively to underwrite as ethical the circumstances
which
> led both to the decline of the language and to the lack of interest.
There
> is also a major question over the apparent assumption that ethics and
> intelectual loss are not connected.

Yes, I see your point about ethics and intellectual loss being
connected -
there are many obvious cases as far as documented information is
concerned
(such as Scottish Protestant iconoclasm and English neglect wiping out
every
Pictish document in existence - that is really pissing me off at the
moment!), but as far as _living_ languages go, I wonder if it could be
argued that the native speakers bear the full responsibility for either
maintaining or neglecting the language ("maintaining" in this case
meaning
bringing up children who speak it)? Then if the language dies because
they
choose to pass on a different language to their children (presumably
because
they believe it's best for their children), is it their choice and
nothing
to do with outsiders? In which case it wouldn't be unethical to "drop"
the
language, however much outsiders may be interested in it. There is such
a big difference between a living, spoken language and what can be
written in
or about it, that a linguist who only has an academic interest can't
really
take it upon himself to keep it alive (though he might bear the
responsibility for documenting as much as possible - an opportunity
that was
missed with Cornish - or even trying to interest native speakers and
others
in it). But on the other hand, I know ethics is such a muddy subject it
probably wasn't a good idea to ask the question in the first place!

To put all the above (including the reply to Colin) together, the
problem
here as I see it is that in the Scottish Lowlands, the larger the town,
the
more likely is the populace to speak just English, and therefore to
want
their children to speak English or even see Scots as a threat. Thus the
way
forward might be to take a regional approach to having Scots taught in
schools?

Of course, it may transpire that even English speaking Scots would be
interested in having their children taught Scots in school - if it was
made clear to them what Scots actually is. That would be a pleasant
surprise!

(If this mailing gives the impression that I'm trying to wind the whole
subject up, it's true - but only because I'm going on holiday soon so
my contibutions will have to be curtailed one way or another!)

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
  Things in this subloonary warld bein far frae
perfeck, 'No that bad' is the maist that mortal
man can venture tae say while here ablo.
             - Catherine P. Slater, 'Marget Pow'