LL-L: "Language conflicts" (was "Loanguage politics", "Language maintenance", "Language planning") LOWLANDS-L, 24.JUL.2000 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 24 20:31:51 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 24.JUL.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

 From: Criostoir O Ciardha [paada_please at yahoo.co.uk]
 Subject: Language planning

 Dear all,

Thank you, Henno, for addressing all the points I
raised concerning Frisian.

I think the issue of "linguistic purism" when creating
a literary/spoken standard depends largely on what
outcome one is intending.

Clearly the situation of many minority languages is
one where they are labouring under a linguistic sword
of Damocles, with a more powerful neighbour
encroaching - or seeking to encroach - upon 'minority'
territory all the time. In most situations the larger
language seeks in entirely or near-entirely
extirpating the smaller one. It seems that in
countries where the larger language has something of a
global or economic application - as in the case of
English, French and German - the smaller speech
resists harder and seeks to underline its distinctive
identity by distancing. This is entirely
understandable.

In the example of these islands, Cornish, Welsh, Scots
Gaelic, Lallans, Ulster Scots, Manx Gaelic, Irish
Gaelic, Channel Island French, Norn, Shelta, Romani,
Angloromani and Polari are all under pressure from a
global language, and some have succumbed. To those
languages that have been more fortunate, the prospect
of destruction at the hands of English is a very real
daily fear. Consequently, it seems two schools of
thought have emerged concerning language planning and
maintenance.

The first school is one which links intimately the
issue of language to that of nationality and
self-determination. As has been pointed out, it is
often the case that if the language comes from a
similar stable to the oppressor tongue, distancing
elements are chosen lest the two languages are seen to
be too close for comfort and the minority nation
subsumed into the larger one. Of course - as was
mentioned with regards to Lallans - this radically
alters the nature of the speech by seeking overly
'pure' or conjectured elements. To self-determinists,
this is often desired: it lends a greater mandate to
notions of nationhood, national difference in language
and aspirations to independence. I would assert that
linguistic self-determination has long formed the
backbone of nationhood: the idea that the Irish nation
should speak Irish, that the Frisian nation should
speak Frisian and so forth. It trades upon the notion
of a 'golden age' that existed prior to contact with
the oppressor nation and which needs to be resurrected
that the nation might fulfil its potential once more.

This idea of 'liberation linguistics' has a number of
beneficial factors - it enables a people to regain
their self-esteem, to motivate themselves, to create
literature, to resist oppression. I point to the
example of the Faroe Islands where it was assumed that
Faroese was a peasant dialect deserved of replacement
with Danish: this was reversed in the late 19th
Century and now the Faroe Islands and Faroese have a
fine literature, self-government and one of the most
prosperous economies and social structures in Europe.
It is difficult to imagine that the Faroe Islands
could have seen such a harmonious existence had they
continued their relegation to a Danish county;
increasingly they would have been peripheralised and
their intellectual life stifled by having to exist
through a purely Danish mileau whilst Faroese was the
best-known language in the Islands.

Similarly, whilst the notion of a 'golden age' of
linguistic purity is unlikely, nonetheless there is no
sane reason why a minority language should be forced
to give way to its truculent neighbour or encroacher.
Take for an example Irish: parts of Ireland are as far
away from London as the Netherlands are, and yet it is
still argued - often by Irish themselves - that
Ireland's proximity to England meant that Irish HAD to
give way to English. This ignores the fact that Irish
was made illegal by the English, and is of course
based on the assumption that economics should rule
everything: if this ideal is taken to its (il)logical
conclusion, there is no need for any language other
than English, as English is the main language of
commerce of the planet. Patently absurd.

However, in mitigation, 'liberation linguistics' can
itself birth illogical situations, such as ridiculous
extremist purism, where all 'foreign' terms are purged
or otherwise eschewed. The French seem to be quite
fond of this isolationism, but both the Icelanders and
the Faroese have chosen this course. One of English's
strengths is that it has been a ready borrower of
terms that it has found itself insufficient to
realise, and this has led to a useful triplicate of
terms - i.e., rise/mount/ascend - that not only
broaden the language's versatility greatlty, but also
enable an English speaker to read most Romance
languages if they have a good knowledge of Latinate
terms within English.

Similarly, the notion of linguistic purism fails to
recognise that whether a term is sanctioned or not, it
may nonetheless be used in everyday speech. The
'Franglais' syndrome infuriates extremist purists, but
it fails to recognise that the people are the final
arbiters or what a language is; not linguists nor
economists, not extremists nor apathetic pragmatists,
but the people who have to use the language every day,
who make it what it is through its articulation and
its communication.

Which brings me to the final option: communication. A
language is nothing if it cannot communicate
sufficiently, and, as I have noted, in informal speech
words, phrases or terms that fail to take account of
this will be dropped and become mere literary
curiousities, scholarly specials to be taken out and
dusted off only out of curiosity. Take for example the
two Cornish language camps: one - Unified Cornish - is
interested in reviving Cornish from Middle Cornish,
and creating excessively 'pure' elements that are
neither English nor Latinate but loans from Welsh and
Breton. It would rather be like recreating English
from a Shakespeare play, but replacing Latinate terms
with borrowings from Frisian, Dutch and German. This
is intended to 'Celticise' Cornish, based on the
assumption that the Late Cornish vernacular was
'bastard' Cornish due to contact with English. Hence
such modern words as 'telephone' are discarded in
favour of conjectured contrivances. The Unified
Cornish for 'telephone' is 'pellgowser' (from pell
'far' + cows 'hearing' + er), and I rest my case.

In Late Cornish however, Latinate terms that occurred
are retained, and international usages maintained.
Hence the Late Cornish for 'telephone' is 'telephone',
etc. It is also ironic that Late Cornish - which is
Cornish as a vernacular - is more distinctive in that
it uses the pre-occlusion of the last speakers (i.e.,
'pedn' for Middle Cornish 'pen', 'mabm' for Middle
Cornish 'mam' and so on) and other native terms that
have survived into the Cornish English dialect;
further, Late Cornish actually has fewer English
loanwords than Middle Cornish - largely because Middle
Cornish is attested from miracle plays written in the
east of the country where English was already in use,
whereas Late Cornish is attested from the extreme
west, where English was last to penetrate.

Therefore the issue of purism depends very much on
what you intend to achieve when you create the
standard. If one wishes to create a 'national'
language as far removed from the tongue of the
oppressor as is possible, one may choose to scour
isolated dialects for divergent 'purisms' and to
conjecture 'native' versions. If one is seeking a
communicative language, it is best to be pragmatic:
but not so pragmatic that the language might as well
not exist, so beholden it is to the economy. If one
follows extremist purism, one creates a ridiculous,
unreal language that is not that of everyday speech;
but, conversely, if follows extremist pragmatism, one
ends up foregoing the minority language in favour of
the language of the oppressor "to get ahead".

Is this a sound assessment or am I entirely incorrect?

I'm very surprised that Frisian language television is
only available on cable. I assumed - naively,
evidently - that the Netherlands were fairly
enlightened when it came to minority issues, but if a
language that is spoken by the majority of Fryslan
(55%) is not broadcast so that majority can enjoy
television in its own language, that comes very close
to linguistic hegemony and intolerance. Very
disappointing.

Even in Ireland there is now an Irish-language
television service (Telefios na Gaeilge or TnaG),
which is similar in development to Sianel Pedwar Cymru
(S4C): it broadcasts one channel, entirely or largely
in Irish, and fills its schedules with general
interest programmes in the language rather tan just
the tiresome "ethnically relevant" programming that
results in an unhealthy self-awareness of minority
status and linguistic desperation. In fact, the
Welsh-language soap opera Pobol y Cwm enjoys an
audience share significantly greater than the number
of Welsh speakers in the population, which can only be
a Good Thing, as opposed to the 'token' programming
that seems to be favoured by the Scottish television
stations for Scots Gaelic. However, I fear Sandy and
John might have to help me out on this one seeing as
though I don't have access to Telefios, Telefios na
Seachdainn, Tir is Mara, na hEileanan nor Nodaidh,
Meusaidh or Alba. I noted in the schedules Na Ceiltich
(The Celts) which looked quite interesting... if
another instance of tiresome "ethnically relevant"
ghettoisation.

Has there been any Lallans-language television
programming there in Scotland? And what are other
Lowlanders experiences of minority language media
(including print media)?