LL-L: "Monarchs & their realms" 03.JUN.2000 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 3 17:06:17 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.JUN.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ian J. L. Adkins [ian at cyberhub.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Monarchs & their realms" (was "Monarchs") LOWLANDS-L,
01.JUN.2000 (02) [E/S]

<< Just a minor thing on this point, European border posts mark each
country in the local language (e.g. "Espana", "Nederland", "France" etc.),
but on entering Germany the sign reads "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" - which

is rather difficult to fit on! Why is this? Why does it not simply say
"Deutschland" - after all, it doesn't say "Republique Francaise", merely
"France"! Maybe somebody knows. >>

My suggestion might be that it's a holdover from the Cold War, as the EU/EC

predates the fall of the communism in East Germany.  The easier way about
it might have been "West Deutschland" (or is that "Westerdeutschland"? My
grammar fails me).  I'm sure the political climate of the time and the DDR
were factors in the labelling of that sign.  Ma twa pence, onieweys.

--Ian

---
Ian J. L. Adkins
President and CEO, The Cyberhub