LL-L: "Printed resources" LOWLANDS-L, 13.JUN.2000 (04) [D/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 14 00:34:20 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.JUN.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Printed resources

Dear Lowlanders,

Those of you who are interested in the history of spoken English and/or Dutch
might like to note the two small 17th century English Dutch tutors I will
briefly introduce below.  I suspect that the Dutch used in both volumes is of
what is now Belgium.  (There is much talk of Spanish items, and there are
French first names, besides the mention of Belgian cities such as Antwerp.)  I
also imagine that spoken Dutch of that period is of some interest to those of
you who deal with the development of Afrikaans.  If you cannot hunt the books
down through a bookstore you might be able to get your hands onto library
copies.

Enjoy!

****

(1)
Alston, R.C., ed., 1970; _The Dutch-Tutor or A New-Book of Dutch and English
containing Plain and easie Rules for the ready Pronuncing, Writing, Speaking,
and understanding the Dutch-Tongue, Compiled for the benefit and furtherance
of all that would easily and speedily learn the same_, London, Printed for
William Fisher, and are sold at his Shop at the Postern-gat near Tower-hill,
1659; Series: English Linguistics 1500-1800 (A Collection of Facsimile
Reprints), No. 249; Menston, England: The Scolar Press Ltd.

This volume briefly introduces Dutch spelling and syllable construction
without describing the sounds. There is a brief grammar part, including some
tables showing noun and verb forms.  There is a bilingual section with
excerpts from biblical texts and frequent religious references throughout the
book.  The dialog section is the largest.  Dialogs are categorized and
bilingual, e.g., "Dialogues and ordinary discourse among men / T' samen
spreckingen en gemeyne contingen onder de menschen", "Common talk being in the
Inne / Ghemeene koutingen zynde ter Herberhen", or "For to ask the way with
other familiar communications / Om na den wech te vragen, met andere gemeyne
propoosten".  The dialogs are presented in side-by-side English and Dutch
columns.  Some parts seem a touch comical to today's readers, e.g.,

E: "Ho Francis! Arise and go to School, you shal be beaten; for it is past
seven a Clock."
D: "Hou Francoys! staet op en ter scholen gaet, ghy sult ghesmeten worden,
want t'is over seven uren."

E: "Your Mother will chide mee, if that you go to school without your clean
shirt."
D: "U Moeder sal my bekyven, ist dat ghy scholen gaet sonder u schoon hemde."

E: "I had rather you should bee shent, then I should bee either chidden or
beaten."
D: "Ick heb liever dat ghy bekeven wordt, dan of ick bekeven ofte gestmeten
worde."

E: "Cannot you wash in the Bason, shall you always have a servant at your
tayle, you are too wanton."
D: "En sondy u niet konnen in't bekken wasschen, suldu altoos altoos eenen
knaap achter uwen steert hebben; ghy zyt te aalwaerdich."

E: "Now go and commend me to your master and mistris, and tell them, that I
pray them to come to morrow to dine with me, that will keep you from
whipping."
D: "Gaet nu, ende groet my uwen meester ende meestersse ende seght hun, dat
ick hun bidde morgen noen met my to komen eeten : dat sal u beschermen van
gegeeselt te worden."

E: "Margaret, give mee my hose, make hast I pray you, where is my dublet?
bring my garters and my shoos, and reach mee the shooing horn."
D: "Margarete, geeft my mijne kousen : haest u ick bidt u waer is myn wambays?
Brenght myne Kouse banden ende myne schoenen, ende 't aantregger langhen."

E: "Peter, carve up the shoulder. Bring hither radishes, carots, and capers.
Give David some of that Hare, and of the Conies. Carve up the parridges, you
carve not to us. Be merry I pray you."
D: "Pieter ontgint de schouder. Brenght hier radysen, karotten, ende cappers.
Dient David van den hase, en van den Conynen. Ontgink de patreysen. Ghy en
dient ons niet. Maeckt goede ciere ick bids u."

E: "Pull off my hose, and warm my bed, for I am very ill at ease : I shake as
a leafe upon a tree. Warm my kerchief, and bind my head well. Soft, you bind
it too hard, bring my pillow, and cover mee well, draw the curtains, and pin
them with a pin; where is the Chamber-pot? where is the privie?"
D: "Trect myn koussen uyt, ende vyert myn bedde, want ick ben seer qualick te
passe : Ick heve gelyck het loof op den boom. Wermt mynen staepdoek ende bindt
my myn hooft wel. Hold, ghy bindt te styf, brengt myn oorkussen, ende deckt my
wel, schuyft de gordynen, ende speetse met een spelle : waer is den pis-pot?
Waer is de heymelikheyt?"

E: "I thank you for your good will : from whence come you now, from beyond the
sea?"
D: "Ick bedank u van uwen goeden wille : Van waer komdy nu, dan over zee?"

E: "No, I come from France, from England, and from high Dutchland."
D: "Neen, ick kome uyt Franckryck, uyt Enghelandt ende Duytslandt."

There seems to be considerable inconsistency in the spelling, mostly of Dutch,
primarily _y_ ~ _ey_ ~ ij_ and _g_ ~ _gh_.

Appended is a correspondence guide with sample letters and notes, as well as
categorized vocabulary lists.

***

(2)
Alston, R.C., ed., 1972; _The Dvtch Schoole Master. Wherein is shewed the true
and perfect way to learne the Dutch tongue to the furtherance of all those
which would gladlie learne it; Collected by Marten le Mayre, professor of the
said tongue, dwelling in Ab-church lane; At London, Printed by George Elde for
Simon Waterson, 1606_; Series: English Linguistics 1500-1800 (A Collection of
Facsimile Reprints), No. 338; Menston, England: The Scolar Press Ltd.

Generally speaking, this volume is similar to the one described above, and
this includes interspersed religious passages.  However, both the English and
the Dutch are somewhat different besides being about 50 years older.  This may
be due to dialectal differences.  Also, this volume seems to aim at teaching
both English and Dutch. It contains abbreviated portions that are not
explained, e.g., _v.i.- (?) for polite "you" (alternating with _u_,
contrasting with familiar _ghy_).  The grammar part is more extensive than in
the other volume.  The dialogs are categorized in a similar fashion, and a
selection of prayers is appended, while vocabulary lists are absent.  A few
examples from the dialogs (_e~_ here standing for "e" with a tilde,
representing _en_):

E: "God giue you good morrow, Sir."
D: "Godt verleeeue [sic] v.i. goede morghe.

E: "And vnto you also, Sir. How doe you, Sir?
D: "Ende v.i. also myn here. Hoe vaert v.i.?

E: "Well, at your commaundement."
D: "Wel tot uuben ghebode."

E: "And I to doe you seruice."
D: "Ende ick tot uvben dienst?"

E: "He is not at home. He is in Towne."
D: "Hy is niet t' huis, Hy is inde stat."

E: "Goe fetch him,"
D: "Gaet haelt hem,"

E: "I goe, take some patience, Tarry a little : I will not tarry long."
D: "Ick gae hebt wat patientie, Wacht een luttel : Ick en sal nit lang
blyue~."

E: "Open the doore, Hath your Master and mistesse supt?"
D: "Opent de deure, Heft uwen meester ende meestersse het auont eten gete~?"

E: "Sir will you rise, it is farre of the day."
D: "S. Wilt ghy opstaen, het is grooten dach."

E: "Giue me a cleane shirt, for this is foule."
D: "Langt my ee~ schoon hemt want desen is vueil."

***