LL-L: "Language policies" LOWLANDS-L, 14.JUN.2000 (05) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 14 23:13:08 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.JUN.2000 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Offline resources

Dear Lowlanders,

Roger Thijs wrote under "Offline resources" (14.JUN.2000 (04)) in reference to
publications by the European Bureau of Lesser Used Languages:

> They missed Limburgish,
> Low-Saxon from Germany, ...

As many subscribers to this list already know, this, at least the omission of
Low Saxon/"Low German", has been a pet peeve of mine for some time now, for
years in fact.  I have challenged the Bureau on this several times, and I
understand that others have done so too.  In the days when they still cared
enough for readers' opinions to publish them in _contacts_, they printed my
letter that appealed for inclusion of Low Saxon/Low German.  This was followed
by several supportive letters in the periodical and many more sent to me
privately.  Apparently it's been all to no avail.

In early correspondence, the Dublin office informed me that all this was up to
the German branch committee of the Bureau.  I wrote to that committee and
received a cursory reply from the then representative, telling me that they
were watching and considering the matter.  In the meantime, Low Saxon ("Low
German") came to be officially recognized as a regional language in Germany
(having been so in the Netherlands a couple of years earlier), apparently the
membership of the committee has changed, and we have sung "Auld Lang Syne"
several times since.  However, there appears to be no movement toward
including this language under "Germany", at least no movement that is
detectible by a member of the public.

Traditionally, the German committee has been representing Danish (including
Southern Jutish), Frisian (various dialects) and Sorbian (or "Lusatian", Upper
and Lower).  Lately, Romanés ("Romani", including the Sinti dialects) has been
added.  Please note that all of these are *ethnic minority* languages; i.e.,
they are associated with *ethnic minorities* (i.e., Danes, Frisian, Sorbs and
Rom ["Gypsies"] of Germany).

In Germany, Low Saxon ("Low German") is used by people who are considered
ethnically German (and "Low German" is a catch-all name for Low Saxon dialects
with a sprinkling of Low Frankish and Limburgish dialects, thus three
languages under one conveniently incorrect name).  Unfortunately, many
Europeans keep clinging to the old notion that there can be only one language
to one ethnic group (though that doesn't really apply to the Sorbs).  I wonder
if perhaps this has been the stumbling block (if the matter has ever been
seriously considered to start with).  Might the members of the committee be
clinging to the notion that this is "merely" a dialect group of German and not
a language in its own right -- irrespective of official recognition and
irrespective of the fact that a German speaker cannot understand or use the
language without L2 study?  Or is the number of speakers considered too large,
thus a threat, potentially taking away too much of the meager minority funding
pie in Germany?  Whatever it may be, I'm probably not alone in asking that the
committee and the Bureau make a decision and explain that decision, either to
include Low Saxon/Low German or to state clearly and publicly why they refuse
to include it.  A public stance is long overdue.

Wo lang schöölt wie noch töven, leve Lüüd'?  Hebbt Jie us Spraak heel un deel
nich mit up de Tell?  Wo veel Weeswark, Gedööns un Spalks bruukt Jie vun us
eer dat Jie er mit upnömen doot?

Gröötnis/Regards,

Reinhard/Ron

Bureau contacts:

President:
Bojan Brezigar
E-mail: direktor at primorski.it

Dublin Office:
European Bureau for Lesser Used Languages
Sráid Haiste Íocht. 10
IRL - Baile Átha Cliath 2
Ireland
Phone: (+353 1) 661 22 05
Fax: (+353 1) 676 68 40
E-mail: eblul at indigo.ie

Brussels Office:
European Bureau for Lesser Used Languages
Rue Saint-Josse / Sint-Jooststraat 49
B - 1210 Bruxelles / Brussel
Belgium
Phone: (+32 2) 218 25 90