LL-L: "Offline resources" LOWLANDS-L, 14.JUN.2000 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 14 22:09:00 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.JUN.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Roger Thijs [Roger.Thijs at village.uunet.be]
Subject: Printed resources

A couple of weeks ago there was an announcement in the press that the
"European Bureau of Lesser Used Languages" (10 Sráid Haiste locht, Baile
Atha Cliath, 2, in Ireland; with office in  B 1210 Brussels, Sint
Jooststraat 49) had published a brochure about "wallon " in Belgium. I got
it in the mean time. In 48 pages it gives a brief overview, with:
- p. 9 a map of the varieties of the "Langues d'oil" with
Saintongeais, Poitevin, Gallo and Normand in the West, Bourguignon and
Franc-Comtois in the East, and in the North the 4 varieties one also finds
in Belgium: Picard, Wallon, Champenois and Lorrain.
- p. 16 a map of the varieties in Southern Belgium (with "wallon" further
split up in it's main 4 varieties)
- p. 23-42 a quite extensive overview of litterature in wallon.

This brochure (M. Francard, "Langues d'Oïl en Wallonie", 2000)  is nr. 9 in
a series, and I could also get a copy of all others, except for nr. 4 about
"Slovene".

- I got nr. 1 in French (not dated): "Vallée d'Aoste, un éventail de
ressources".42 pp.
It describes the position of the franco-provençal dialects and of French as
cultural language in the Aosta valley in the North-West of Italy.
New for me is the presence of German "walser" dialects in 3 villages
(Issime, Gressoney-Saint-Jean and Gressoney-La-Trinité), with 2 dialect
varieties:
- pp. 26-28: "Le dialecte germanique" (NB: The Germans of these 3 villages
get some legal protection.)
- pp. 35: Utilisation du Titsch ou du Töitschu
- pp. 40, in the list of institutions: "Centre d'études et de culture
walser de la vallée d'Aoste".

- I got nr. 2 (1995) in as well a French as an English version: "Scotland,
a ling-uistic double helix".
- Gaelic got pp. 7-28
- Scots got pp. 29-43
"Auld Reikie" by Robert Ferguson is reproduced on p. 32.

- I got nr. 3 (1996) as well in German as also in English: "North Frisia
and Saterland, Frisian between marsh and moor." 48 pp.
p. 4-27: North Frisia, with a map p. 4; p. 17 a list of the dialect varieties:
Island North Frisian with:
  Sylt Frisian
  Föhr/Amrum Frisian
  Helgoland Frisian
Mainland North-Frisian with:
  Wiedingharde Frisian
  Bökingharde Frisian
  Karrharde Frisian
  Nordergoesharde Frisian
  Mittelgoesharde Frisian
  Hallig Frisian
p. 28-46: Saterland
with a map p. 29 (p. 28 has a nominative list of villages where Sater
Frisian is spoken.)

I got a copy in English of nr. 5 (1997): "The Sámi, The Indigenous people
of Northernmost Europe", 45 pp.
p. 16 the Sámi Flag, p. 17 the Sámi Anthem, p. 23 a map with the 10 Sámi
varieties

Nr. 6 (1997) I also got in English: "Yiddish and Judeo-Spanish".
p. 3-21: Yiddish
p. 23-41: Judeo-Spanish.
quote p. 19: "...One notable exception is the city of Antwerp, where the
majority of the Jewish population is concentrated in a distinct
neighbourhood and has preserved its uniqueness. This is reinforced by the
disproportionate influence of the Orthodox sector - notably the Hassidim,
who have a high birth rate - which continues to use Yiddish as the
vernacular. Thus, this large Flemish port city has become one of the most
important world centres for Yiddish, although its Jewish population numbers
only about 17.000. Nearly 2.500 students there attend schools where the
religion courses are given in Yiddish, and more than 1.300 are enroled in
Talmudic academies (yeshivof) in which Yiddish is the language of instruction.
This last Yiddish-speaking bastion reflects the singularity of the former
Eastern European communities...."

- nr. 7 (1998) I got in English also: "Brittany, A language in search of a
future."37 pp.
p. 10 a map of the language border in Brittany (Breizh) in France.
p. 4 a map of the celtic area's in Europe, with, from North to South:
Gaelic: Gàidhlig, in Alba
Irish: Gaeilge, in Éire
Manx Gaelic: Ghailckagh (almost extinct), in Mannin
Welsh: Cymraeg, in Cymru
Cornish: Kernewek (almost extinct), in Kernow
Breton: Brezhoneg, in Breizh

and finally I got nr. 8 in English (1999): "Irish, Facing the Future", 43 pp.
p. 7 a map with the coastal areas in the West marked

They have also send me the "Mini guide to lesser used languages of the
European Union, 113 pp. in English; at the back upside down 117 pp. in
French. It dates from 1998, and is out-dated: Limburgish is not listed,
North-Saxon is only listed for the Netherlands; for some of the languages
that get their page in the book, I cannot reproduce some signs correctly):

Austria
(page:) 2 Cesky (Czech)
3-4 Hvratsky (Croatian)
5-6 Magyar (Hungarian)
7 Romanes (Romany)
8-10 Slovensko (Slovene)
11 Slovensky (Slovak)

Belgium
14-15 Deutsch (German)
16 Lëtzebuergesch (Luxembourgish)
17 Wallon (Walloon) including the other regional languages of Oïl:
Champenois, Lorrain and Picard.

Denmark
20 Deutsch (German)

Finland
22 Romani-language, Miranda, Voulasranta
23 Rusky (Russian)
24 Sámegiella (Sámi)
25-26 Svenska (Swedish)
27 Tartar

France
30 Brezhoneg (Breton)
31 Català (Catalan)
32 Corsu (Corsican)
33 Creole
34-35 Deutsch (German)
36-37 Euskara (Basque)
38 Lëtzebuergesch (Luwembourgish)
39 Nederlands (Dutch) (quote:"Numerical strenght: The language is spoken in
the Westhoek by about 80.000 people (rough estimate) out of a total of just
350.000 inhabitants"; comment: these 80.000 are really hard to find)
40 Occitan
41 Oïl

Germany
44 Dansk (Danish)
45 Friisk (Frisian)
46 Romany
47 Seeltersk (Sater Frisian)
48-49 Serbski (Sorbian)

Greece
52 Abërishte, Arvanitika, Shqip (Albanian/ Arvanitika)
53 Armïneste, Vlaheste (Aromanian, Vlach)
54 Pomatski Pomaski (Pomaki)
55 Makedonski, Bugarski, Balgarski (Slav-Macedonian)
(Bugarski is also without l in the French version, I thought it was a
printing error)
56 Türkce (Turkish)

Ireland
58-59 Gaelige (Irish)

Italy
62 Arberor (Albanian)
63 Català (Catalan)
64-66 Deutsch (German), with:
        German from Süd-Tirol
        Walser (Valle d'Aosta)
        Cimbri and Mócheno
        The Pladen community
        German from the Friuli region
67-68 Français - Francoprovençal
69 Furlan (Friulan)
70 Helleniki (Greek)
71 Hrvatski (Croatian)
72-73 Ladino (Ladin)
74 Occitan
75 Sardu (Sardinian)
76-77 Slovensko (Slovene)

Luxembourg
80 Lëtzebuergesch (Luxembourgisch) (it's listed since the foreigners in
Luxemburg don't speak it !!!!)

Netherlands
82-83 Frysk (Frisian)
84-85 Nedersaksisch (Low)Saxon)

Spain
88 Aragones (Aragonese)
89 Asturiano/ Bable (Asturian)
90 Català (Catalan)
91-92 Balearic Islands
93-94 Euskara (Basque)
95-96 Galego (Galician)
97 Occitan

Sweden
100 Meankieli (Tornedalian Finnish)
101 Roma
102 Sámi
103 Suomi (Finnish)

United Kingdom
106-107 Cymraeg (Welsh)
108 Gaeilge (Irish)
109-110 Gàidhlig (Gaelic)
111 Kernewek (Cornish) (spoken by about 200 people)
112 Scots
113 Ulster Scots

I hope I didn't make too much typing errors. They missed Limburgish,
Low-Saxon from Germany, ...
Sorry in case these booklets eventually were already discussed before in
this list.

Regards,
Roger