LL-L: "Mutual comprehension" 21.JUN.2000 (02) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 21 18:33:26 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.JUN.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Floor van Lamoen [f.v.lamoen at wxs.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Mutual comprehension" 20.JUN.2000 (01) [E/LS]

> From: R. F. Hahn [sasssisch at yahoo.com]
> Subject: Mutual comprehension
>
> [The following is in Low Saxon/Low German and English.]
>
> Leve Leeglanners,
>
> Ick sammel Biespelen, in de twee Spraken snackt wardt un de Lüüd' enanner

> falsch verstaat, besünners waar tominnst een vun de Spraken 'n
> ,,leeglandsche'' is.  Up de 57. Sied vun düt Book heff ick so'n Biespeel
> funnen: Fritz Specht, _Niederdeutsche Scherze_, Hamburg: Quickborn (40),
> 1931.

<...>

Dear Ron,

There is this famous tiny conversation on the ferry from the Netherlands
to England. A man from a village in Groningen and a man from England
talk to each other. Groningers don't talk much.

"Quiet night"
"'k Waait 't oek naait" (I don't know either).

Kind regards,
Floor van Lamoen.