LL-L: "Language politics" 24.JUN.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 24 21:35:45 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 24.JUN.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Ian James Parsley" <parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: Low Saxon

Ron at al,

I've just returned from a trip from Hamburg and actually turned on the
radio at home (I receive German radio by satellite) to catch the end of a
programme about the development of Luebeck, and the role Latin and
"Niederdeutsch" played in its history.

Anyway, the situation of Low Saxon and Scots is, to me, very similar, but
there are certain aspects where Scots has a lot to learn. It is noticeable
in several homes in the Hamburg area that there are subtle welcome mats or
plaques with the gospel on written in Low German, just to hint at a Low
Saxon-speaking heritage. And in some ways Low Saxon does not appear, at
least the outsider, to be quite so downtrodden - I was reminded of a song
from years ago entitled "Dat wichtigste is, dat ihr Fussball spielt"
(hardly broad Low Saxon, but the influence on what we might term "Northern
High German" is obvious and there is no attempt to hide it). There is a
bakery chain in the area called "Dat Backhus", thus Low Saxon appears on
nearly every high street.

Yes, Scots can be found in subtle places too - shops may sell "Gifts *fae*
Scotland", the road they're on may be "XXXX Wynd" or "XXXX Loanen", signs
going out from a town may say "Haste ye back". However, this is no more
than in Newcastle upon Tyne, where it may be "XXXX Lonnen" and there are
signs (one in Blyth) saying "Gan canny" as you leave.

As a sidepoint, I notice huge new signs in Belfast have gone up saying
simply "Welcome to Belfast". And I must confess, sometimes sticking to the
national language only is the safest option, especially in Northern
Ireland!!

Best wishes,
----------------------------
Ian James Parsley
http://www.gcty.com/parsleyij
077 2095 1736

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Language politics

Ian, thanks for sharing your observations in Northern Germany and for
relating them to the situation in Scotland.

I think that must of what you observed is a result of a fairly recent
"movement" that not only helped Low Saxon (Low German) to become officially
recognized in Germany (with much pushing, shoving and begrudging) but also
seems to have improved the morale of many speakers and afficionados of the
language.  Prior to that, yes, there used to be always activists who
encouraged use of the language openly, but acceptance and encouragement
seems to be wider these days.  However, mind you, many people don't go much
farther than putting a doormat with Low Saxon writing in front of their
doors or doing similar symbolic things.  Also, people are slow to accept,
leave alone embrace, the fact that Low Saxon can be used for more than for
_spijökige Dööntjes_ ("amusing tales") and parochial literature and plays
("Humptata-Haha", "Heimaat, Hart un Smart" and the like).  Nevertheless,
there appears to be *some* progress, certainly a gradual image change, and
we ought to be grateful for that, baby-steps and all.

Thanks again.