LL-L: "Language politics" 26.JUN.2000 (01) [E/S]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 16:55:49 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.JUN.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Ian James Parsley" [parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Language politics" 24.JUN.2000 (01) [E]

Ron,

I must say I find the doormats and such like (which, I must say, have
obviously been around for some time) very encouraging. It is difficult for
minority language movements to get far beyond that, actually, because then
the consensus about what the end-goal is rather disintegrates. The same
applies to the Ulster-Scots movement - many sympathetic outsiders say it's
a shame we can't all get together because we have the same goal, but the
quite simple fact is we haven't! Some people want tax forms in
Ulster-Scots, others simply want a bit of recognition (and maybe a few
doormats!)

Best,
Ian James Parsley
http://www.gcty.com/parsleyij