LL-L: "Code switching" LOWLANDS-L, 03.MAR.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 3 16:17:51 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAR.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Ian James Parsley" <parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L: "Code switching" LOWLANDS-L, 02.MAR.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlanders,

It sounds to me, yet again, as if the situation with Low Saxon and
Scots is
very similar. All Ron said could equally be applied to Scots, certainly
here
in Ireland.

Pepijn's points were interesting. It will be interesting to see what
happens
in East Timor, where apparently only 10% of the people speak
Portuguese,
which has now been chosen as the single official language. Bahasa
Indonesia
and I daresay Dutch would have been candidates, but I would be amazed
if, in
practice, the people don't switch to English as a lingua franca before
Portuguese.

We shall see!

Best,
Ian James Parsley