LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 06.MAR.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 6 18:18:41 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.MAR.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Ian James Parsley" <parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 05.MAR.2000 (03) [E]

Ron,

Yes, I would also say we are in agreement on the fundamental points,the
main one being that standardising a language is a much bigger task than most
would realise.

Not only do I not like the idea of "language engineering", I would
agreethat it would be doomed to instant failure (who ever pays any attention to
the decrees of la Academia Espanola?).

Inevitably standardisation involves some form of artificiality -language is
general is something we speak, and therefore anything we write is, toan
extent, artificial. You are right that somebody somewhere will get tocall
the shots, I suppose we are entering the realm of politics when Isuggest
that that somebody (or group of people) have to at least *look* as if
they're acting on what people are actually writing.

In fact, I didn't mean to suggest the writing of an authoritative grammar -
what I meant was that people seem to think that by "written standard"we
mean "standard spelling". When I say "written standard" I mean a"standard
grammar" to be used in writing. As long as the orthography is in someway
consistent (in Scots, for example, if you go for "sheuch" you shouldalso go
for "eneuch", "teuch" etc.), the only real hurdle to understanding is the
grammar.

However, I do in fact suggest the writing of an authoritative grammar.In
the absence of such, most people decide when they're writing Scots (orLow
Saxon or whatever) that since grammatical rules vary from dialect to
dialect, they'll just use English grammar (or High German or whatever).This
is the start of a decline - in the absence of a separate grammar forScots
writing, people are then inclined to invent spellings and words to make
Scots "look" different from English (or Low Saxon different fromGerman, I
would imagine). However, if they had the grammar right in the firstplace,
there would be no need for such orthographical or lexical invention.

Consider, for example:

'A follae tha fitbaa an tha rugby' (I follow football and rugby)
'A brak tha airm' (I've broken my arm)
'Them's guid apples' (Those are good apples)
'Thae dishes is tae wesh' (Those dishes are to be washed)
'Ir ye lang heir?' (Have you been here long?)

In these five sentences, I have used not a single word in Scots that has
separate derivation from English (in other words I've used the same lexical
items). However, the sentences are entirely different in construction. Most
Scots writers, however, particularly in Ireland I daresay, are inclined to
forget such differences and make up vocabulary (something like 'A gae efter
fitbaa an rugbie' or 'A hae broke ma airm'), and the result is gibberish (my
earlier spelling "Jibberish" was from a Belfast Telegraph article, I should
have made clear!).

I agree with everything you say, however, about how difficult a task that
is. With Ulster-Scots specifically there already exists a grammar. However,
the author himself admits to being an "Ulster Scot" more than a"linguist".
It filled a void in Scots language study excellently, but among linguists in
Northern Ireland it was not wholly well received because of its linguistic
errors (e.g. why do nouns and numbers appear in the same chapter, when
numbers are adjectives). But then, would a grammar written by a"linguist"
rather than an "Ulster Scot" be any better? Because Ulster-Scots is arural
language and you don't get too many farmers with degrees in linguistics!

You hit the nail on the head by mentioning time is of the essence. The
problem with Ulster-Scots is that we need a fully-researched grammar,but we
haven't time to research it...

You are also completely correct that by creating a standard for the major
dialects of any minority language runs the risk of the languages becoming
independent, particularly as there are an awful lot of people in Ireland who
for a variety of political reasons would be quite happy to see "Ullans"
recognised as separate from "Scots". There is no doubt that "Ullans" is
rather different (as indicated on the LOWLANDS-L introductory page ifyou
read Scots and Ullans), but I cannot see any future for them, particularly
not for Ullans, pursuing promotion on their own. Creating separate standards
is a logical and probably just step, but it does run that risk, no doubt about
it.

As for "standard orthography", you are right again. Most Scots literature is
written in an Anglicised orthography, and where this is not the case it
tends to be written "as it sounds" (and thus dismissed as "dialect
writing"). A standard spelling system may be harder to come by even than an
agreed grammar. As you say, you have to take into account all dialects as
much as possible, but also traditional spellings from literature where
possible. For example English 'good' is nearly always written 'guid' in
Scots now, but this is very rare in traditional literature that I've read.

Striking a balance is an unenviable task, but the survival of the language
may just depend on it.

Best wishes,
Ian James Parsley
http://www.gcty.com/parsleyij