LL-L: "Code switching" LOWLANDS-L, 07.MAR.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 21:54:55 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.MAR.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: John M. Tait [jmtait at altavista.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 01.MAR.2000 (14) [E]

Ron wrote:

>You will also frequently encounter this type of code switching between Low
>Saxon (Low German) and German in Northern Germany.  You might start off in
Low
>Saxon and then switch to German to say something about, say, technical or
>bureaucratic matters.  This might lead you to continuing in German for a
>while, but a change of topic or a more "relaxed" turn in the conversation
>might lead you back to Low Saxon.  I would expect similar situations in cases
>such as Afrikaans <> English, Low Saxon <> Dutch, Frisian <> Dutch, and Dutch
><> French, perhaps also Scots <> English, in our Lowlandic subject area.  I
>have been known to slip into this type of Low Saxon <> German and German <>
>English code switching myself (and I refer to it as "loose switch").  I have
>noticed that it is very common in virtually all immigrants' groups where
>everyone knows both the ancestral and new language.  Few people seem to be
>able to stick to one language.

This offers a very interesting example of the difference between the way I
use Shetlandic and the way I use Scots. Many people I know - my wife, for
example - will use Scots in some contexts and English in others, more or
less as described above (except that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or
reason to her code-switching) and when I'm talking to people like that I
tend to automatically do what they do - that is, I tend to reply in
whatever language they are speaking to me at the time. This includes a
hybrid Scots/English which my wife tends to speak, which I don't speak to
anyone else, and which I would call 'garbled nonsense' were I to hear
anyone else speaking it!

This is in complete contrast to how I use Shetlandic. In Shetland, talking
to my brother for example, I would _never_ use English, no matter how
technical the subject was. In extreme cases the vocabulary might be mostly
international Latin and Greek, but the phonology, morphology and syntax,
and any relevant non-technical vocabulary (e.g. the familiar pronoun _du_,
and relevant cognates such as 'haem', 'lang' or 'doon') would definitely be
Shetlandic rather than English. The situation in certain areas of the North
East would be the same. This fact - that Shetlandic and some Scots speakers
use Shetlandic or Scots whatever they are talking about - is not
appreciated by some (mostly amateur) commentators on Scots, who seem simply
to _assume_ that everyone talks English when they are speaking about
serious topics, because, never having lived or worked in an environment
where Scots is a real community language, used by practically everyone of
any level of education, such a situation is simply beyond their experience.

This creates considerable misunderstandings, because it leads to
assumptions about the scope and capabilities of Scots being made by people
whose only experience of the language is of situations where it is already
marginal. The prevalence of Labovian sociolinguistics as a sort of
orthodoxy for the study of Scots as a whole is the academic side of the
same tendency.

Another thing which many Anglophone Scots don't seem to understand is that
there are many people, especially older people, in Shetland and the North
East who are monolingual Scots or Shetlandic speakers. That is, although
they can manage a few words in English to make a point, they cannot speak
it fluently; and when they try to, the results are often comical. It is a
moot point how far real bilingualism in areas such as this is the exception
(mostly people who have been 'Sooth', usually to University, and have
returned to work e.g. as teachers); how far the survival of the native
languages is related to lack of the need or ability to be fluent in
English; and whether, in a situation where there is no bilingual education
as such, the native tongue must automatically be squeezed out as people
become more conversant with English. In other words, in a situation where
only English is taught as a language, do local speech forms survive only by
default?

Related to this - seeing someone was mentioning David Crystal - is his
description of Shetlandic (I've mentioned this on this list before) where
he gives an example of speech, from a sixty year old man in Lerwick, to
show that much spoken Shetlandic is little different from standard English.
Anyone actually familiar with Shetland would know that only a handful of
Shetlanders of that age would actually speak like the example given, even
in Lerwick - one or two oddballs known derisively by locals as 'knappers'
(affected speakers of English). The first impression is that this is
someone doing his level best to speak English in order to be understood by
a foreigner (the example came from research done by a Swede, Bengt
Orestro"m). Moreover, reference to the actual source of the example shows
that Orestro"m's research was exclusively on syntax and intonation, and he
had a deliberate policy of Anglicising everything else in his examples so
that they would be easily readable by non-Shetlanders (the results, to a
Shetlander, are sometimes bizarre to say the least). That Crystal could
accept, as genuine Shetland speech, an example elicited by a foreign
researcher who had a stated policy of Anglicising his texts is remarkable -
rather like the practices of the 19th century 'armchair anthropologists',
who were held up as an example of how not to do things when I was at
University. I hope his information about Australian - and The Inchkeith
Experiment - is more reliable.

John M. Tait.