LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 10.MAR.2000 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 11 00:17:58 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.MAR.2000 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: John M. Tait [jmtait at altavista.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Language politics" LOWLANDS-L, 06.MAR.2000 (02) [E]

Sandy wrote:

>Also, Scots won't die out just because it's English that's taught in the
>schools - it would have died out centuries ago if this were the case. When I
>was a child I would come home from school and my parents would correct any
>mistakes I made in my Scots as a result ("It's 'licht', no 'light', "it's no
>'shoes' it's 'shuin'") and even correct grammatical errors I made purely
>within Scots ("It's 'bid', the'r nae sic word as 'bydit'). This phenomenon
>seems a lot rarer these days. A language dies out because people decide it's
>not worth the trouble of passing on to their children. This is the
>experience of Norn and Cornish, whereas Welsh, which was much more
>ferociously suppressed in schools than either of those, is the only one
>that's not in danger of dying out. It only died out in the industrial south
>east, due to an influx of immigrant workers from England (very much as with
>Glasgow in Scotland).

This is a very important point. What Sandy describes is very much my own
experience as a child - the way we spoke had rules which were corrected,
just as English had. I would never have been allowed to call my parents
'du', for example. And the use of an Anglicism, such as 'find' [f at ind]
instead of 'fin' [fIn] would have elicited a sharp repremand. (Boy, whit's
du spaekin laek yun for?) This constituted a bilingual education - you
learned English at school and through the media, and Scots elsewhere.

This is strikingly different from the situation I see in, for example, my
sister's family (she lives in Scotland, not Shetland!) where the parents
and grandparents talk to one another in Scots, but immediately switch to
English to talk to the children. The concept of Scots as the natural way to
speak has gone. In the next generation of this family, it will have
disappeared completely. Intermediate stages can be seen in, for example,
families in Shetland where, in an otherwise Shetlandic-speaking family, the
parents address their children as 'you'. The concept of the traditional
distinction as being correct has gone, and has been replaced by the English
pattern.

The usual pattern is that better educated people speak English to their
children whereas less educated families do not, with the result that the
language changes from a community language to a sociolect. The children of
parents who bring them up to speak English may of course learn Scots from
other children, but because it is learned mostly from less academic
children it is perceived as slang.

It is in this situation that reinforcement of Scots in schools could, I
believe, have a considerable effect. If children who speak a sort of Scots,
and hear Scots all about them, were to be taught that it is not slang, but
a language like any other, and introduced to it in written form just as
they are introduced to English, their perception and use of it would be
different. However, this would only be likely to have an effect if Scots
could be taught as Sandy learned it - i.e. that there is such as thing as
correct Scots, as opposed to either English (e.g. licht as opposed to Eng.
light) or non-standard constructions which are no more traditional in Scots
than in English (e.g. 'them beuks' as opposed to traditional 'thae' or
'that' (NE) beuks). Children, parents and teachers are unlikely to
accumulate much respect for something which can never be either right or
wrong - while the only way to be correct remains to speak standard English,
the pressure will all be in that direction. However, as the entire fashion
in linguistics and literature is opposed to 'correctness' in language, but
doesn't effect that concept as far as it applies to standard English, the
results can be easily imagined.

John M. Tait.