LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 12.MAR.2000 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 12 23:42:58 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.MAR.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: >---JEP---< [piorkowski at mail.tiszanet.hu]
Subject: LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 10.MAR.2000 (03) [E]

Well, a few things on Canadian vs. American English.  I come from
southern Wisconsin, and many people from further south (florida, etc.)
mistake my accent for Canadian, and even say it "sounds like Irish".  I
can begin to understand why they make the comparisons, because we sort
of "sing" while speaking, our r's are more chewed, and th's often become
d-sounds.

As a Wisconsinite, I enjoy the canadian accents, and can understand why
it's also considered British English.  They use words there that aren't
alltogether foreign to us, but sound strange, or different from the
specific ones that we would choose south of the border.  The most
stereotypical parts of the Canadian accent that sets them apart, are the
words STAMP, and ABOUT/OUT, etc.  STAMP, to me sounds like stomp, and
about becomes ABOOT, and out becomes OOT.  There are other very small
subtleties that are immediately recognizable as uniquely Canadian, but
difficult to describe in words.

As far as British Accents, before I was more exposed to the many UK and
other world English accents, I couldn't tell the difference between most
British accents, even South African and Bjork sounded british to me!!!!
BUT since exposure, of course each accent has become increasingly
unique.  Under the same anthem, Canadian and American-US accents also
sounded one in the same...

Are there emerging UK/other dialects/accents, as in the American
'Ebonics' ?
Dare I ask the next question?  I was recently watching a TV program and
heard the term, "Sweed basher" as an insult or nickname or something?
Could someone tell me what that means?

Cheers,

Jason Piorkowski

   such formats in your submissions.