LL-L: "Code switching" LOWLANDS-L, 12.MAR.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 12 23:39:18 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.MAR.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Stefaan Vermeire [stefaan.vermeire at advalvas.be]
Subject: LL-L: "Code switching" LOWLANDS-L, 11.MAR.2000 (03) [E]

Dear Bryan,

I think you are referring to the Flemish film "Priester Daens", describing
the life of priest Daens who dedicated his life to the amelioration of the
common workers in Flanders during the 19th century. I have seen the film and
the used language is standard Dutch, with a few Flemish dialect words but
pronounced according to the standard language. If I am not wrong this was a
creation of the Flemish film producer Robberecht de Hert. In the
Franco-Belgian state the Dutch language and its local Flemish, Brabantian
and Limburgian dialects were considered as languages for the peasants, the
workers, the uneducated people. French was used in the schools, court and
even the army (although the majority of the soldiers were Flemish). French
was also the language of high society, the court and the bourgeoisie. Only a
few intellectuals - mostly priests, teachers, writers and a single
politician - used Dutch and were fighting for constitutional changes. This
situation was only partially changed after the WW I, although the main
changes came after WW II.

There is a rather large tradition of Flemish film depicting the rural live
of the 19th and beginning 20th century. Most of the time Dutch language is
used. However, in a few we can found a by Flemish influenced Dutch
(pronunciation and vocabulary). On the commercial Flemish television there
was a sort of series in Limburgian a year ago.

And on the Flemish radio there was the famous "Koekoeksnest": a daily, short
"radio theater" in which the different actors used their own dialect (and
every Dutch main dialect spoken in Flanders had its place in it). It was
very funny.
Stefaan R.W. VERMEIRE.

> From: Bryan E. Schulz [bryans at northnet.net]
> Subject: LL-L: "Code switching" LOWLANDS-L, 10.MAR.2000 (08) [E]
>
> At 04:20 PM 3/10/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>
> Recently I watched(viewed) a film made in Europe titled 'DAENE' which used
> Flemish as a
> language for the poor people and French as the language spoken by the rich
> class
> of people.  My questions related to code switching-
> 1.  Has anyone seen this movie that is a native Flemish speaker and is the
>     language spoken correctly in the movie?
> 2.  Are there other movies available that use some of the Lowland
languages?

> Bryan E. Schulz

   such formats in your submissions.