LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 17.MAR.2000 (01) [E]

Sandy Fleming sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 17 23:14:20 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 17.MAR.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: "Language varieties"

I can't see any strong basis for claiming Occitan roots or even influences
for Polari. The more usually accepted idea that Italian provides the Romance
input seems preferable (Occam's razor and all that).

Is someone looking too hard for Occitan roots? "Ogle" doesn't look much like
"ulh", and we have the verb "(to) ogle" which Chambers Dictionary suggests
is of Low Saxon origin!

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

----------

From: Colin Wilson [lcwilson at iee.org]

At 21:14 16/03/00 -0000, Sandy Fleming wrote:
>As fishing terms, "trawling" is catching fish by dragging a net through the
>water, "trolling" is done by dragging a hook or lure through the water on a
>line.

So there's a form of fishing known as "trolling"?

That's news to me. I stand corrected.

Colin Wilson.

************ http://www.btinternet.com/~lcwilson/colin.htm ***********

                               the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
Colin Wilson                   the barra wadna row its lane
writin fae Glesca              an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
                               lik the muckin o Geordie's byre

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk]

Indeed, Colin, it was news to me too! It was only the line from the English
version of the Welsh carol "Deck the Halls" that clued me to the fact that
"trolling" was a verb in its own right and prompted me to investigate the
etymology:

Deck the halls with boughs of holly,
(falalalalalalalalala)
'Tis the season to be jolly,
(falalalalalalalalala)
Don we now our gay apparel,
(falalalalalalalalala)
Troll the ancient yuletide carol,
(falalalalalalalalala).

This is of course another meaning, but from the same root.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
http://www.fleimin.demon.co.uk