LL-L: "Phonetic symbols" LOWLANDS-L, 21.MAR.2000 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L Administrator sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 21 23:10:20 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.MAR.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: John M. Tait [jmtait at altavista.net]
Subject: LL-L: "Phonetic symbols" LOWLANDS-L, 18.MAR.2000 (02) [E]

Sandy wrote:

>I believe John Tait used an IPA system extensively in producing his
>Shetlandic translation of Mark's Gospel, so he might be able to enlighten
>us.

I use the SILdoulos font, which can be found at the website given by Alfred
Brothers. However, this doesn't work in HTML unless the reader also has the
font. For my Shetlandic website I used a script invented by myself using
only the normal international character set, but I intend to change this to
SAMPA when I have time. For my personal use, I've written a Wordbasic macro
that transcribes a subset of SAMPA, which I use in my Shetlandic vowel
database, to SILDoulos, so I can extract information from the database and
then produce more readable IPA tables from them. I could send it to anybody
who's interested - there's another version that changes only the SAMPA in
the source text, which involves the SAMPA being in blue  - but it's buggy.
Also, I don't know if later versions of Word can run Wordbasic.

John M. Tait.