LL-L: "Names" LOWLANDS-L, 02.MAY.2000 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 14:56:36 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.MAY.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: 3181SAFF [3181SAFF at london-oratory.org]
Subject: LL-L: "Names" LOWLANDS-L, 21.APR.2000 (01) [E]

> Mike Adams wrote:
> >
> > I can see it, I love how some names are converted as they change from
> > countr y to country. Excample I know of is the "WulF" family, which
when
> > it was translated to French or Italian it became Guelph..
>
> Gu was the closest French and Italian speakers could come to _w_ (back
> before it became [v] in the mid-Middle Ages), so you get that in lots of
> old names and words:  ward/guard,  warranty/guarantee, war/guerre
(related
> to German wirr, meaning chaotic).  When French subsequently vocalized _l_
> in some positions, that led the name Wilhelm to be Guillaume [giyom] and
> Walt-her/Walter to be Gautier.  As "guard" etc. shows, these Germanic
words
> have sometimes been borrowed back into Germanic languages.

Mike,

Also, in Cuba "gu" is pronounced no differently from Spanish "hu" i.e. Eng.
w, thus there are three spellings for Marijuana (marijuana, marihuana and
mariguana)

Andrew

----------

From: 3181SAFF [3181SAFF at london-oratory.org]
Subject: Borstal

Lowlanders,

Briefly, I've found another Kentish town with the suffix -stal, Horstal,
and I wonder if it may be anything to do with a pre-Saxon "British" dialect
of the region.

Also, did you know, the etymology of "Penguin"

As in Penzance etc, "pen" in Cornish means head and "gwyn" means black thus
Pen Gwyn.

While on the subject, does anyone know what "aber" means as in "Aberdeen,
Aberavon and Aberystwyth"?

Regards,

Andrew Saffrey