LL-L: "Historical phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 02.MAY.2000 (03) [E]

Ian James Parsley parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk
Tue May 2 18:26:22 UTC 2000

Andrew,

I think it is quite common for English and Scandinavian (and even Frisian)
to develop an affricate where other Germanic languages retain the more
conservative non-affricate. Consider English 'church' and Swedish 'kyrkan'
(pron. sh-) yet Dutch 'kerke', German 'Kirche', even Scots 'kirk', or
English 'hedge' for German 'Hecke' (Scots 'heck'). But phonetics was never
my strong point, so I may be wrong.

(When I say 'Scots' I refer to my own Ulster dialect of course, but I assume
my examples stand equally in most Scottish dialects.)

Best,