LL-L: "Historical phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 02.MAY.2000 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 20:05:10 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.MAY.2000 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: UB82DN at aol.com
Subject: Phonology

Dear Andrew & Lowlanders,

Some examples of the type you refer to may be instances of word-pairs, one of
which has the Indo-European "mobile s-" prefix.  "Kort, kurz" come from Latin
curtus, but Eng. "short," if kin to those, shows the prefix (but the /t/ is
hard to explain on the ground of Grimm's Law).  I am slowly compiling a list
of word-pairs in Germanic with/and without the s-.  For example, Eng. "steer"
vs. Icel. "thjorr" - both cognate with Greek "tauros."   Possibly "stretch"
and "reach" (<*strekan [the /t/ is a phonetic intrusion] and *rekan).  Eng.
"fall," Sanskrit "sphal-."  Does anyone know if much work has been done on
this topic?

Cheers,
Joe Stromberg

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Historical phonology

Joe Stromberg wrote:

> Some examples of the type you refer to may be instances of word-pairs, one > of
> which has the Indo-European "mobile s-" prefix.

<...>

> I am slowly compiling a list
> of word-pairs in Germanic with/and without the s-.

Very interesting!

So what's your opinion?  Is there a chance that Old English _sceoppe_ 'stall',
'booth' (> _shoppe_ > _shop_) falls into the same category and is related to
the verb 'to purchase' (*/s-keop-/)?

What is the Old English cognate of this old verb 'to purchase' (e.g., Dutch
_kopen_ etc.)?  What is the generally accepted reconstructed Germanic form of
this verb?

(BTW, Old Norse has _kaup-_ which seems to be nicely preserved as a loan in
Baltic Sea Finnic varieties: Finnish _kaupunki_ 'town', 'city' ("Market
place", "the place at which you buy things"?), Estonian _kaub_ 'articles (for
sale)', 'goods', _kaubamärk_ 'brand', _kaubandus_ 'commerce', _kaubalaev_
'freighter', _kaupmees_ merchant', etc.  C.f., German _Kauf_, Low Saxon/Low
German _Koop_ [koup] 'purchase' (noun).)

From: Ian James Parsley [parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Historical phonology" LOWLANDS-L, 02.MAY.2000 (03) [E]

Andrew,

I think it is quite common for English and Scandinavian (and even Frisian)
to develop an affricate where other Germanic languages retain the more
conservative non-affricate. Consider English 'church' and Swedish 'kyrkan'
(pron. sh-) yet Dutch 'kerke', German 'Kirche', even Scots 'kirk', or
English 'hedge' for German 'Hecke' (Scots 'heck'). But phonetics was never
my strong point, so I may be wrong.

(When I say 'Scots' I refer to my own Ulster dialect of course, but I assume
my examples stand equally in most Scottish dialects.)

Best,